Seeking Assitance for KOTOR 2

I noticed the post below, but it didn’t seem very clear on what was happening to their system. I have a Intel 830M graphics card, with 64 MB of shared memory, and 378 MB of total RAM. I installed KOTOR 2, and tried to run it and it crashed immediately upon clicking on ‘Game’. I chose to disable movies, since I remembered having problems playing movies from KOTOR 1, selected the lowest video settings, and then retried. This time, the game launched, though the menu system was skewed. Once I got to starting screen, I deselected grass and shadows from the video options. Then I went to character creation and got through it all. When I pressed play, however, the game crashed. I would usually would get the starting sounds of some droid beeping, and about 1 frame of a droid before it crashed. (This problem was repeatable at this step). I went to the intel site to download the latest drivers (my prior ones were quite old). I downloaded and installed the drivers. I went to the intel website to see if they had any specific information about KOTOR 2. They did not, but they did have information about problems in KOTOR 1, such as the menu being askew. The latest driver was supposed to have corrected this problem for KOTOR 1. So I loaded up KOTOR 2 again, this time selecting to play movies. The opening movie played well and without much wait time. Then I got to the starting screen. I selected character creation (so the grass and shadows were still turned off) and created my character. The menu system had been corrected and was now properly aligned. I then pressed play and a movie showed. Then the game sounds started, and the screen turned black, while a “Windows Error Report” message came up. I disabled movies, and then tried again, but it crashed in exactly the same manner, at the same time, when the movie would have ended and gameplay would have started.
Another thing is that I did the configuration test that comes with the game, and I initially got the following report.
“Video Failed…Graphics Required: 32 MB OpenGL 1.4 compatible PCI or AGP 3D Hardware Accelerator with Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability required…OpenGL Failed…Required: Non-Windows Generic OpenGL 1.4.0 drivers”

I found on the intel site that this is the exact same report statement that KOTOR 1 had, but that the drivers had fixed. I therefore had high hopes that the driver update would fix the problem for KOTOR 2 which used the same game architecture. However, I found that the same error report came up after I installed the update. I followed all the correction instructions provided on the Intel website for KOTOR 1 and yet I have still not managed to get the game to start. Those instructions can be found at http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-008649.htm
I have several questions: First, does anyone using an Intel 830M graphics chipset, or has had similar problems, managed to get KOTOR 2 to work. I have heard of third parties providing driver upgrades. Does anyone support Intel chipsets (I have tried googling but have come up emptyhanded)? If anyone has suggestions (besides getting a new computer) on how to fix this problem, I would be very appreciative.
Thank you for your assistance.

One more thing that I forgot. The game developer’s website does not explicity say the graphics card is supported, nor that it is not supported.

Originally posted by <Guest>:
One more thing that I forgot. The game developer’s website does not explicity say the graphics card is supported, nor that it is not supported.
You don’t have a graphics card… and no it’s DEFINITELY not supported.

You mean this? There is a fine list there at the bottom.

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004332

I have an Intel 830M. I was under the impression from what I read on the intel site that this chipset was fairly distinct from the i845/i865 and that it had some independent and separate properties when it came to running some games that the i8. I could be mistaken, however.

Originally posted by <Guest>:
I have an Intel 830M. I was under the impression from what I read on the intel site that this chipset was fairly distinct from the i845/i865 and that it had some independent and separate properties when it came to running some games that the i8. I could be mistaken, however.
You’re listening too much to Intel’s spin doctors… all their chipsets are crap and their support for such chips is lackluster at best (and I’m being kind).

The 830M is considered obsolete by Intel and is no longer supported in any fashion. Further, it only supports OpenGL 1.3 and therefore pretty much excludes you from playing ANY newer games.

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel830m/

Heh. Well said. This is along the lines of what I suspected. Thanks for the info, though.