in efforts to up my framerates I decided to try running WoW in openGL but to my surprise when I did so none of the models would be rendered and the fps actually dropped significantly. the larger terrain models would be rendered and the"spell effects" would appear as well but as far as player and npc models…nothing was coming up. I’m wondering if theres anything I need to download, as I recall sometimes I had to in the past, for opengl to work properly? I’m using an ati mobility radeon x300 128mb with the latest omega catalyst drivers. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Well you only need to download and install good video drivers (accelerated ones, from ATI, not provided by Windows).
For the “mobile” video, often only the Omega tweaks are available unfortunately… Be sure you did not get a too much ‘tweaked-for-performance/bleeding-edge/crash-a-lot’ version of the driver.
Try downgrading a bit your driver, even use the official drivers from ATi or your laptop manufacturer :
My laptop is a dell—meaning the drivers for the ati card havent been updated by them in about 2 years. As far as getting the ati drivers, their installer wont work for me because of the slight modifications made for the dell model. From what I understand, the drivers I’m using are not ‘tweaked for performance/bleeding-edge/crash-a-lot’ as the game doesnt crash when running with d3d.
I have the same trouble as you.
Here my procedure to get the latest drivers on my Asus laptop with an ATI Radeon x600 Mobility
- Launch the wizard (ATIMCatW.exe) from here: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/mobility-xp
- With “ProcessExplorer”, search the string beginning by “http://” in the process “ATIMCatW.exe”.
- You get that URL: http://www.ati.com/online/mobilecatalyst/index.html
- Download, and you get something like: “7-9-mobile_xp32_dd_ccc_enu_52445.exe”
- Execute “7-9-mobile_xp32_dd_ccc_enu_52445.exe”.
- The installation is aborted because you do not have a true ATI card, but the driver is still here!!!
- Uninstall the old version of the Display Driver ONLY (Not the panel or ccc)
- In the “Device Manager”, you can update the VGA driver by specifying this path:
I hope it will work for you too