Rendering video with OpenGL: Tutorials?

Hi there,
i want to write an application that captures videoframes of a connected camera. The preview of the frames should shown in the GUI. I found a lot of informations about rendering graphic objects, but no much information about rendering videoframes. Are there tutorials especially for rendering video with OpenGL? For example which gl methods are needed for video?

Greetings

Core OpenGL doesn’t have any specific support for video. There are a couple of vendor-specific extensions which add support for YCbCr textures, and the NV_video_capture extension. All of these aim to reduce the overhead of getting a video frame into a texture. Beyond that, you’re just drawing textured rectangles.

Thank you. So I need knowledge about textures, vertex and shader?

And if I see correct, the YCrCb extensions are not compatible with all GPU types?

Not through OpenGL support, no. OpenGL doesn’t require YCrCb / YUV texture support (e.g. YUV422, YUV444, etc.)

However, as a first cut you could easily just add one or two simple paths to your code to render these using standard OpenGL on pretty much any GPU. There are at least two options for this that don’t require any extension “special sauce”:

1. On the CPU, convert the YUV frames to an RGBA texture format natively supported by the GPU, subload those RGBA texels to the GPU, and render that. This is where the trivial chroma re-sample to 1x would occur (and re-interleaving if planar). OR…

2. Write your frag shader do sep lookups for Y, U, V, and re-interleave + convert to RGB on-the-fly during rendering.

This would provide you a good base case for performance, from which you can determine if you need anything more. If your camera is lower res and/or slower frame rate, or if your frame rate demands are low, then this might be sufficient.

That said, it’s worth checking the GPU you’re targeting to see if it has native support for rendering compressed/encoded video and/or YUV frames. It probably does, since video is pretty ubiquitous nowadays, many GPUs offer hardware-accelerated video playback support through dedicated video decode/encode hardware on the GPU. Also, some GPU vendors offer special APIs or SDKs to make direct use of this hardware from applications. See what your options are there.

As far as Vulkan support (which you didn’t ask about), here’s a starter link. Search for “video” in the SIGGRAPH 2021 Khronos Vulkan BOF Presentation here:

For video out check other tecnology - VDPAU.

Old Intel HD Graphics chips ( 2012 year ) has Media and Video Codec Engine ( VCE ) blocks:

GPU-block

It is separated from 3D rendering.

Possible OpenGL in future will be merged with vdpau.

If you’re on Linux, definitely. If not, then you’ll need to look elsewhere.

For Linux and Windows on NVIDIA GPUs, check out the NVIDIA Video Codec SDK:

There’s working sample code to copy/paste/modify for OpenGL and Direct3D.