Rendering VAO and VAO's depth textures

Hello everybody,

I’m new to OpenGL and I have two basic questions, I’ve been coding in Java using LWJGL :

First of all I’ll quickly explain my model:

In project I have a model class where I load all the all attributes in of a model into a VAO using VBO for every the vertex points, texture and normals.

In my renderer I take a model, I bind his VAO and call glDrawEllements

the render code looks like this :

public void render(Entity entity, StaticShader shader){
        TexturedModel TexturedModel = entity.getModel();
        RawModel model = TexturedModel.getRawModel();
        GL30.glBindVertexArray(model.getVaoID());
        GL20.glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
        GL20.glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);
        GL20.glEnableVertexAttribArray(2);
        Matrix4f transformationMatrix = Maths.createTransformationMatrix(entity.getPosition(), entity.getRotx(), entity.getRoty(), entity.getRotz(), entity.getScale());
        shader.loadTransformationMatrix(transformationMatrix);
        ModelTexture texture = TexturedModel.getTexture();
        shader.loadShineVariables(texture.getShineDamper(), texture.getReflectivity());
        GL13.glActiveTexture(GL13.GL_TEXTURE0);
        GL11.glBindTexture(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_2D, TexturedModel.getTexture().getTextureID());
        GL11.glDrawElements(GL11.GL_TRIANGLES, model.getVertexCount(),GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_INT,0);
        GL20.glDisableVertexAttribArray(0);
        GL20.glDisableVertexAttribArray(1);
        GL20.glDisableVertexAttribArray(2);
        GL30.glBindVertexArray(0);

}

I though I was understanding the way it works, but I’ve realized that the model renders even without the:

GL11.glDrawElements(GL11.GL_TRIANGLES, model.getVertexCount(),GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_INT,0);

Am I missing something ? or if there is no draw call, OpenGL calls one automatically ?

My second questions is, if I’d like to render the VAO content into a depth texture using a FBO, how would I go to render the VAO’s content while the FBO is bind ?

Would I still just call DrawElements ?

It would appear so.

No. If your model is still rendered without that call, clearly there’s another such call somewhere else.

[QUOTE=Jfuchs;1262705]
My second questions is, if I’d like to render the VAO content into a depth texture using a FBO, how would I go to render the VAO’s content while the FBO is bind ?

Would I still just call DrawElements ?[/QUOTE]
Yes.