i’m just trying to think of some ways to approach a 3d engine - rendering pipline. every time i have a thought something gets in the way that i can’t figure out.
what would give me the best performance in theory?
- using a z buffer
- go through all textures and render all triangles with that texture
- but how would transparent textures fit in to this?
- don’t have have to sort them?
- and won’t the other triangles that i render using 2nd method screw this up?
or perhaps i can do this
- sort all triangles from back to front
- render triangle (using it’s texture)
- but wouldn’t this be slow because of the constant state changes?
what are some other ways of doing the rendering pipline?
i know about bsp trees, octrees, etc BUT i only see them as the following…
bsp trees : allows to clip out triangles, etc, sorting
octrees: allows to clip out regions of triangles…
but what i’m left with is a list of triangles?? i’m still stuck wondering how to go about rendering them in a fast, efficient way!
thanks in advance for any info!!