Redhat dropping GLUT from distribution

see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=90734

Good find lurker. Thanks.

Mark H. is absolutely right.

I’d love to see GLUT relicensed, but if not, there are other toolkits available.

If you read the whole Bug report it is not a GLUT but in the Nvidia version of the LibGL.

You should not throw out the baby with the bath water over this.

GLUT is a very useful utility and there are workaround on the BUG.

Originally posted by jmg:
[b]Good find lurker. Thanks.

Mark H. is absolutely right.

I’d love to see GLUT relicensed, but if not, there are other toolkits available.[/b]

I did read the whole report – did you? :^]

It looks like the reporter suspected the nvidia libGL at one point, but Mark H. pointed out that the GLUT library is actually at fault:
“Glut’s mandatory requirement of the extension is what is a bug, and Brian Paul has fixed GLUT to work as it should in the GLUT sources which are included in Mesa-demos. Brian has special permission from Mark Kilgard.” Also, there have been some comments added since my post; comment #12 points out that the extensions are SGI specific and the are make GLUT non-portable.

So, I think Redhat is doing what they have to do. I think the community needs to ‘encourage’ the author of GLUT to open up the license. Maybe if someone of good reputation offered to be the maintainer he would be more inclined?

Hmm, all I needed to do to fix the problem was to recompile the glut .so using the 3.7 source tarball and the link problems went away.

Not sure why Redhat would be dropping glut because of such a minor problem.

> Hmm, all I needed to do to fix the problem was to recompile the glut .so using the 3.7 source tarball and the link problems went away.

Apparently that doesn’t really ‘fix’ the problem, it just builds a glut that is specific to your software environment. If I understand the discussion on bugzilla, the underlying problem is that glut should dynamically detect whether or not optional features are available – you shouldn’t have to recompile glut every time you change your OpenGL implementation (libGL).

I think Redhat’s position is that GLUT should work like the GLUT redistributed with Mesa – it apparently dynamically checks for the availability of optional features, and the end user doesn’t have to recompile it to match their environment. Redhat would be willing to accept a patch for GLUT, but the GLUT license doesn’t allow it. So, it doesn’t work properly and they can’t fix it, and unless something changes they are dropping it. Of course, there is nothing to prevent us as users from going out and getting the GLUT tarball and compiling it ourselves, but it would sure be nicer if it was part of the distribution. Plus, GLUT would probably benefit from more active maintenance.

I downloaded the example program in question and compiled it with this modification.

GLextensions.h

#define GL_GLEXT_LEGACY

I have an ATI 7500 card though.

> #define GL_GLEXT_LEGACY

I think the bug reporter already knew that trick:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=90734#c6

Just wanted to point out works on other hardware like ATI.

Also you like to point out that is compiled correctly with by using -lGL or -lGL-MESA.

But then again is not the linux GL library, really just the mesa library anyway?

Originally posted by Lurker:
[b]> #define GL_GLEXT_LEGACY

I think the bug reporter already knew that trick:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=90734#c6 [/b]

I had the same problem after upgrading to a laptop with an nvidia card -
/usr/local/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to glXBindChannelToWindowSGIX' /usr/local/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference toglXQueryChannelDeltasSGIX’
/usr/local/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to glXChannelRectSyncSGIX' /usr/local/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference toglXChannelRectSGIX’
/usr/local/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXQueryChannelRectSGIX’

However - All of these are only used within the glut source file glut_vidresize.c. After removing these references (they are only for SGI anyway) I could rebuild GLUT no problem.

Hope this helps

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.