Question off topic

I realize that this quesstion is tottally off topic , however I know that most of people who post here are university students & from computer siences usually. I’d like to hear how the CS program looks elsewhere. How many time you spend on maths/comps avarage% & what compilers you use (BORLAND / MSVS) for C++.

Hull uni - UK:
A bit of maths each year, e.g. vector collision and dot products etc this year.

Course mainly using Java, with small bit of C++, Prolog, Bebop (assembler), one module on writing a compiler…

Am using Together-J v.6 for my java on a student license from the uni

Music_Man

Have you got further with your project (Maze)?

I went to NDSU. The Computer Science department there concentrated mainly on theory, high-level software design, etc. In other words, not a lot on APIs. My first classes there were C++, it was the last year before they switched those core classes to Java. Anyway, they had us use Turbo C++. They were a little behind the times.

I ended up skipping the CS 1, and going to the CS 2 class because I had already been doing C++ on my own for about 6-7 years, and didn’t think I could learn anything from that first level class. Didn’t learn a lot from the 2nd level class, either, but it was an easy A.

Anyway, a lot of the other higher-level classes that I had to do any programming in, we worked primarily on Linux. I did have one Windows project that we did on Borland, but the teacher provided a lot of the Windows code, since most of the other students had never touched Windows programming before.

I think the grader for one of my classes had only ever worked in Turbo C++, because I used some STL containers for one of my projects, and when I got the code back, the grader had written stuff like “incorrect” and “this won’t work” on my paper. Needless to say, I was a little pissed and took it up with the professor, who luckily knew about the newer C++ standards. My next program, I used STL everywhere I could, and heavily commented those spots explaining how the 1992 ANSI ISO standards had included them.

NDSU started a new Software Engineering program like a year after I graduated, and are starting to get into .Net stuff now.

In short, I think I learned more about programming on my own and on the job than I ever did in school.

I go to U of I in computer science and engineering. When not doing graphics I prefer to use Microsoft visual c++ but when using openGL I use g++ on a silicon graphics workstation.