To the Khronos Committe:
Should one learn openGL or Vulkan?
I felt that it was better to go straight to the source and ask the Khronos committee directly.
Based on rumours, forum gossip and videos on Youtube,
- OpenGL is legacy code, it has flaws that have built up over the years.
- OpenGL will still be supported but it will be deprecated someday in favour of Vulkan.
- Vulkan is the new multi-platform API for graphics.
- Vulkan is harder to learn than openGL
- Vulkan will make it easier to port games between Windows, Mac and Linux.
- While Vulkan is harder to learn, all you have to do is code it once for everything.
- Ray tracing
I apologise for any factual errors and I hope I’ve not missed out anything important.