profiling opencl using nvprof commandline

Hello

When profiling an opencl application with compute capability 6.1 and cuda 8.0 toolkit, using the commandline nvprof.exe, I run into the following error:
==9652== Profiling application: myopencl.exe
==9652== Profiling result:
No kernels were profiled.

I couldn’t find anything online that seemed to work. Please note this is for OPENCL and not CUDA.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

thank you

You might try older NVIDIA tools. They’ve been slowly removing OpenCL support in newer versions of the tools.

I tried an older version of the toolkit: 7.5. That did not work either. Do you know if OpenCL support is going to be coming back in the newer versions of the toolkit with OpenCL 2.0?

1 Like

Hi, minidrive

Do you know if OpenCL support is going to be coming back in the newer versions of the toolkit with OpenCL 2.0?

I think nVidia will have not any plans to support OpenCL in nVidia Tools, they haven’t supported OpenCL 2.0 in full yet.

Interestingly, I can get the GUI version to work with 8.0 , just not the commandline version. Does anyone have any idea if the GUI version saves the numbers somewhere. I have looked around in the nvreport , nvactivity etc. None of them hold any useful text data.

It may not give you quite as much detail as the IHV-provided tools, but the “Device Performance Timing” capabilities of the Intercept Layer for OpenCL Applications will give you some profiling information about your OpenCL application, such as the total / min / max / average time for each kernel, and it works on any OpenCL implementation:

https://github.com/intel/opencl-intercept-layer/blob/master/docs/controls.md#deviceperformancetiming-bool

Is this sufficient for your needs?

do you mind sharing the steps/settings how you got nvvp to profile OpenCL?

I could not even get that to work - my program does run in nvvp, but it does not produce a timeline, or provide any useful information (I am interested in the PC sampling profiling like for my cuda code).

Here is my screenshot

1 Like

@fangqq: were you able to profile an OpenCL program on Nvidia devices?
If so, could you please share it? Thanks!