Problem: Help OpenGL program works on Win9x but NOT on WinNTs (2000 & XP)

Hi Everybody!

Problem: Help OpenGL program works on Win9x but NOT on WinNTs (2000 & XP)

OpenGL program works on Win9x but NOT on WinNTs (2000 & XP).On the other Hand DirectX runs fine on both Windows platforms.

This post is a bit long, but please read and understand it carefully.

System Specs:

Abit KV8 Pro Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Nvidia GEFORCE 4 MX 440 (Latest Forceware 81.95 Installed)
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
1024 MB (1 GB) DDR SDRAM (400 MHZ)
80 GB Hard Disk
Windows XP with Service Pack 2

This problem occurs on Windows NT Platforms (2000 and any XP edition) with or without the service packs and even with or without third party programs installed. (Cadence, Macromedia, Mathlab etc.)

This problem has bothered me for a long time… OpenGL programs are running with respectable frame rates (80 FPS and above) when using Windows 9x Platforms (95, 98, ME) but is running the other way around when using Win NT Platforms (3 FPS is the fastest speed I can get with OpenGL programs)

I need to use Windows NT Platform (2000, All XP Editions) because some of my programs need it (Macromedia MX Software, Cadence Engineering software, etc.)

DirectX on the otherhand, is working flawlessly.

Solutions Applied:

1. NO OVERCLOCKING was applied on any device

2. ALL motherboard drivers were installed prior to video,sound & external device drivers.
    (Device Drivers: AGP, Chipser Drivers, etc.)

3. Anisotropic, Antialiasing, Vertical Sync, and OpenGL Texture Clamping and all eye candy modes were turned OFF.

4. Used the Windows 95, Windows 98 / Windows ME Compatibility modes but OpenGL programs are still very slow.

5. Used a third party program called GLDirect from SciTech soft but only got a sluggish average of 15 FPS Max from OpenGL programs.

6. Went to the Nvidia Archive and downloaded all versions of Detonator & Forceware Drivers but never showed any improvement on performance. The oldest forceware that supports the GEFORCE 4 MX 440 was v 31.40.

7. After trying to install different versions (from the oldest to the latest). I used the OpenGL Info program from Delphi Tools to see the OpenGL renderer and I found out that it is using Nvidia’s latest GL driver - OpenGL 1.5.

8. Used an ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB, tried installing the factory manufactured drivers and got same results on Windows XP (3 FPS MAX). Downloaded and different Catalyst drivers (oldest to the latest) and still, have the same results (3 FPS Max)

• Everytime I Install a detonator / forceware driver (Nvidia), and catalyst drivers (Radeon). I always peform a clean uninstall of the previous driver installed.

• The OpenGL driver from microsoft (located at Windows\System32) have nothing to do with these problem because I used different libraries from microsoft and I still get the same sluggish 3 FPS results on Windows 2000 / XP

• Ironically, OpenGL programs are working on my neighbors old AMD K6-2 450 MHZ, 256 MB of SD RAM, with an ancient S3 Savage4 using Windows NT Platforms (2000 and any Windows XP programs). OpenGL works at an acceptable 35 FPS.

• Nvidia & Radeon Support can only suggests using the latest drivers but unfortunately, It doesn’t work.

• Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Spywares absolutely don’t have anything to do with these problems because these problem is already present after a clean low-level format and new software installation on the hard drive.

=================================

This WinNT (2000 & any XP Edition) problem can simply happen by uninstalling a driver then re-installing it back. This problem can occur on any computer regardless of the setup.

This is an example (PROOF):

I tried doing the following on a different computer with following specs (this is an office computer):

Intel P4 2.8 GHZ
ATI Radeon 9800 128 MB
1024 MB (1 GB) DDR RAM
ASUS P4C-800 Motherboard

Before Un-Installing the driver.

1. OpenGL programs are running smoothly at minimum 150 FPS.

2. Used the OpenGL Info program by Delphi to identify the OpenGL renderer being used. It reported that it uses the Nvidia GL Renderer 1.5 (OpenGL 1.5)

3. Performed safety precautions (driver backup) in case problems arise after un-installing and re-installing drivers.

4. After performing steps 1, 2 & 3, I uninstalled the video driver, performed clean driver uninstallation, restarted the computer, then Installed the same driver.

5. Tried running an OpenGL program and boom! OpenGL programs are running at an unacceptable 3 FPS.

6. Performed driver rollup then OpenGL programs worked again.

• I also tried doing these on a P4 1.7 Mobile computer, and I also got the same results.

Also, these can happen on Win9x platforms simply by performing the following:

1. Go to Control Panel, Click System Icon, click the Advanced Tab, Then the File System button.

2. On the “…how this computer performs…”, change the Desktop computer to Network Server.

3. Restart the computer

4. Try running an OpenGL program, and you’ll get the impressive 3 FPS. :-\

Is there an equivalent configuration for these setting on Windows XP? If there is, changing that setting is a possibility for the problem to be solved on WinNT platforms (2000 & XP). I’m sure that I am not the only one experiencing these type of problem.

Please read and understand the Post carefully so you can avoid posting a suggestion that was already performed.

If you do have the following suggestions below. Please do NOT bother to post. In this way, we can avoid wasting each others time. (This were the replies that I usually get from other forums)

1. Download the Latest & Greatest Official Detonator / Forceware Drivers.

2. Nvidia Sucks! Get another card.

3. ATI Sucks! Get another card.

4. Upgrade Your computer. Add more memory, change processor then change monitor.

5. Buy 100 different Nvidia and ATI graphic cards.

6. Uninstall Mathlab (I do NOT use Mathlab)

7. Buy a new computer (My computer is not the historical 8086)

8. Reformat your computer 1,000,000 times and reinstall windows 500,000 times.

9. Erase the DVA=1 settings on your Win.ini file. (The DVA setting is only found on windows 95, 98 & ME versions and is not found on Windows 2000 / XP)

10. Read every letter, comma, period, semi-colon, exclamation mark, pictures on your motherboard and video card manual.

11. Install the latest DirectX drivers (DirectX has nothing to do with OpenGL graphics)

12. Burn your computer then buy another computer.

13. Go to GLSETUP. (One of the suggestions that I do really hate. GL Setup is already vaporized.)

14. Flash your Bios a 1,000,000 times. Load BIOS or SETUP defaults a 1,000,000 times. Then Restart a 1,000,000 times.

15. Download and install 1,000,000 different brands of Anti-Virus programs and Anti-Spyware programs.

16. Turn Off your Anti-Virus. (As I told you earlier Virus, Trojans, Adware and other destructive programs don’t have anything to do with these problem). Also, Anti-Virus programs don’t have anything to do with In-Game eformance, it can affect load times but NOT render times.

17. Contact Nvidia & ATI Technical support. (Read the post carefully. I already did and the only thing that they can suggest is to download the latest driver for windows 2000 / XP)

• the 1,000,000 times represent the number of times that ‘so-called super computer gurus’ suggested these type of solutions.

Problem Summary:

OpenGL works very slow on Windows NT Platforms (2000 & XP) - A Maximum of 3 FPS
OpenGL based programs works flawlessly when using Windows 9x Platforms (98, ME) - A Minimum of 80 FPS DirectX based programs works flawlessly on either Windows Platforms.

Thank You Very Much & More Power To All!

Use the machine with the 9800 card.
Make sure you log in as Administrator (XP or 2000)
No need to uninstall the driver. Just install Catalyst 5.11

If you have done the above, I suggest you find your chipset drivers, install it. Best done before installing video drivers, but perhaps order doesn’t matter.

I suggest you run Quake 3 in window mode to test.
You can check the GL it is running from one of the menu options.

If that doesn’t help, then I’ll be surprised.

I hope you have read Solution Applied #2 mentioned on my first post:

1. ALL motherboard drivers were installed prior to video,sound & external device drivers.

Also, I mentioned in my post earlier (Solutions applied #8) result after using the Radeon card gave me similar Result.

Used an ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB, tried installing the factory manufactured drivers and got same results on Windows XP (3 FPS MAX). Downloaded and different Catalyst drivers (oldest to the latest) and still, have the same results (3 FPS Max)

I already tried using different types of Nvidia (GEFORCE 440 MX, FX 5200, FX 5700 & FX 5800 Ultra & Radeon Cards (9200 & 9800) but it gave me the same unacceptable 3 FPS result. Therefore, switching to different type of cards does NOT show any difference.

Running any OpenGL programs on Windows / Full Screen Mode doesn’t show any difference. It doesn’t matter if it’s a game or an OpenGL dependent Graphics program. Both performs at 3 FPS MAX.

Please read & understand the first post carefully before posting any suggestion.

Anyway, Thanks for the time you spent reading the problem.

** Additionally, I hope no one will ever give the suggestions mentioned below: **

1. Google is your friend, Search Google.
  2. MSN is your friend, Search MSN.
  3. Alexa is your friend, Search Alexa.
  4. Overture is your friend, Search Overture.
  5. Altavista is your friend, Search Altavista.
  6. xxxxxxxxx is your friend, Search xxxxxxxxx.
  • xxxxxxxxxx points out to all Search Engine that is being suggested.

• Make Sure your suggestion is NOT found on my first and second post.

Thank You & More Power To All!

The instructions I gave is the only necessary thing to do typically. I’m assuming the “Intel P4 2.8 GHZ” system is a 32 bit CPU. Do you have Win2k with SP4 on this?

If Quake3 is running at 3 FPS, then we can assume it’s not a software problem.

It might be some setting or a device conflict or driver.
It’s best to strip down the PC to basic components for this reason.

I can’t help you much further (not because I don’t want to).

Okay, I’m going to repeat the Problem:

OpenGL programs work without any problems on Win9x Platforms (98, ME) but runs very slow (3 FPS Max) on WinNTs (2000 & XP)

Windows 98, ME: OpenGL Runs Without any problems.

Windows 2000: OpenGL runs very slow at 3 FPS Max. This problem occurs with or without any service pack installed (service pack 1 to 4)

Windows XP (Any edition): OpenGL runs very slow at 3 FPS Max. This problem occurs with or without any service pack installed (service pack 1 or 2)

• OpenGL screen savers, OpenGL Games and applications runs very slow (3 FPS max) on WinNT platforms (Windows 2000 & All Windows XP Edition).

Thank You & More Power To All!

What does way GlInfo when you run it from the slow-GL system ? MS GDI generic or proper ATI/Nvidia driver ?

If you did install correct Catalyst or Forceware drivers for your card/OS, I fall to see how can I help you…

[quote]What does way GlInfo when you run it from the slow-GL system ? MS GDI generic or proper ATI/Nvidia driver ?[quote

When using an Nvidia Card:
GL Info Reports that the system is using the GL_Renderer from Nvidia - Version 1.5

When using an ATI Card:
GL Info Reports that the system is using the GL_Renderer from ATI - Version 1.3

[quote]If you did install correct Catalyst or Forceware drivers for your card/OS, I fall to see how can I help you…[quote]

Here is the line from my first post (Solutions Applied Section):

[quote]
7. After trying to install different versions (from the oldest to the latest). I used the OpenGL Info program from Delphi Tools to see the OpenGL renderer and I found out that it is using Nvidia’s latest GL driver - OpenGL 1.5.

1. Used an ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB, tried installing the factory manufactured drivers and got same results on Windows XP (3 FPS MAX). Downloaded and different Catalyst drivers (oldest to the latest) and still, have the same results (3 FPS Max)[quote]

I do really understand that solving a computer problem without the having physical contact with the computer is NOT going to be easy.

Anyway, Thanks For Trying To help.

Of course, I’m open for more optimistic suggestion.

Thanks & More Power To All!

Originally posted by <GL_Userzky>:
[b][quote]When using an Nvidia Card:
GL Info Reports that the system is using the GL_Renderer from Nvidia - Version 1.5

When using an ATI Card:
GL Info Reports that the system is using the GL_Renderer from ATI - Version 1.3
[/b]
The drivers are not installing at all or not installing properly.
For NV 5200 and above and ATI 9500 above, it should say GL 2.0

• The OpenGL driver from microsoft (located at Windows\System32) have nothing to do with these problem because I used different libraries from microsoft and I still get the same sluggish 3 FPS results on Windows 2000 / XP

What libraries would that be?
If you don’t use the standard OpenGL32.dll from Microsoft’s system folder, but some OpenGL.dll which can be an SGI implementation all bets are off.
If the programs which run fine under Windows 95 are not linked against OpenGL32.dll they won’t run fast on NT.

Intel P4 2.8 GHZ
ATI Radeon 9800 128 MB
1024 MB (1 GB) DDR RAM
ASUS P4C-800 Motherboard

Before Un-Installing the driver.

1. OpenGL programs are running smoothly at minimum 150 FPS.

Who installed the driver which ran with 150 fps?
Check the display control panel for the driver modules versions and compare it to the slow state. They all must match.

1. Used the OpenGL Info program by Delphi to identify the OpenGL renderer being used. It reported that it uses the Nvidia GL Renderer 1.5 (OpenGL 1.5)

This should not happen on a system with ATI Radeon installed. :wink:
But it’s the correct version for a GeForce 4 which doesn’t support OpenGL 2.0.

1. Performed safety precautions (driver backup) in case problems arise after un-installing and re-installing drivers.
  1. After performing steps 1, 2 & 3, I uninstalled the video driver, performed clean driver uninstallation, restarted the computer, then Installed the same driver.

Check which driver is running after the restart, before you install the new one!

Microsoft was so clever to implement an automatic WHQL driver installation on known devices.

What happens on my laptop for example is that the last known WHQL driver is automagically installed after I uninstall my display drivers.
If machines are connected to the internet they even download WHQL drivers from the Microsoft’s driver database and some of those come without OpenGL installable client driver(!) aka. running SW only with the GDI generic implementation.
Unplug your system from the internet while changing drivers.

The only way to get a newer driver was to use a WHQLed one or to update the current via the device manager driver update dialog, not via the driver’s installer setup.exe.

Always check the display control panel if the versions of the drivers match. I’ve seen instances where Windows insisted on replacing the display drivers with WHQL versions, but not the OpenGL driver.

1. Tried running an OpenGL program and boom! OpenGL programs are running at an unacceptable 3 FPS.

What OpenGL version is reported in this state?

1. Performed driver rollup then OpenGL programs worked again.
  • I also tried doing these on a P4 1.7 Mobile computer, and I also got the same results.

Also, these can happen on Win9x platforms simply by performing the following:

1. Go to Control Panel, Click System Icon, click the Advanced Tab, Then the File System button.
  1. On the “…how this computer performs…”, change the Desktop computer to Network Server.
  1. Restart the computer
  1. Try running an OpenGL program, and you’ll get the impressive 3 FPS. :-\

Network Servers have no hardware OpenGL support.

This is probably the same as if you move the display troubleshoot slider some marks to the left. That slider needs to be at the rightmost notch to get HW OpenGL.

Check the NVIDIA GL_RENDERER string. It needs to report “AGP” on AGP systems. If it says PCI, the motherboard’s chipset drivers are not correctly installed.

So why not turn off this feature. In the control panel, there is something called Automatic updates. Switch it off.

============================================================================================================

The drivers are not installing at all or not installing properly.
For NV 5200 and above and ATI 9500 above, it should say GL 2.0
The GL version depends on the driver that is being used:

Nvidia:

If you are using Forceware drivers between 28.xx up to 71.xx. The OpenGL version is between v1.1 to 1.5
If you are using Forceware drivers between 77.xx up to 81.95. The OpenGL version si between v1.5 to 2.0

ATI Radeon:

Older catalyst drivers have OpenGL v1.1 to 1.5.
Newer catalyst drivers have OpenGL v1.5 to 2.0.

============================================================================================================

What libraries would that be?
If you don’t use the standard OpenGL32.dll from Microsoft’s system folder, but some OpenGL.dll which can be an SGI

implementation all bets are off.
If the programs which run fine under Windows 95 are not linked against OpenGL32.dll they won’t run fast on NT.
Hi there! :slight_smile: Glad to see you here.

The Opengl.dll only affects certain programs that were designed to use the Opengl.dll library. Even if you copy the

OpenGL.dll file from the System directory, it will NOT affect the performance of any opengl programs. And all OpenGL apps & games that I use are Opengl32.dll dependent.

I Use the following OpenGL Library:

OpenGL from Microsoft :

Windows XP: found in windows\system32 library

Opengl32.dll - OpenGL Client DLL - 5.1.2600.1106
glu32.dll - OpenGL Utility Library - 5.1.2600.0

Windows 98: found in windows\system library

Opengl32.dll - Opengl Client DLL - 4.0.1381.4
glu32.dll - OpenGL Utility Library DLL - 4.0.1381.1

• The Windows 98 Opengl client & library files can also be found on windows ME and on the Opengl95 setup file from Microsoft.com

• Using any of these libraries does NOT affect the performance of the 3D Card being used.

Who installed the driver which ran with 150 fps?
Check the display control panel for the driver modules versions and compare it to the slow state. They all must match.
It does NOT matter who installed the driver, what matters is the version of the driver installed. It is simple, the driver that was uninstalled and reinstalled was the same. No upgrades, No downgrades. Just the same driver that came with the video card. The only thing that has changed was before uninstalling the drivers, OpenGL programs are running at a minimum of 150 FPS, then after uninstalling and reinstalling the same drivers. OpenGL programs are running at 3 FPS Max. The only thing that fixed the problem was to roll back the same driver that was reinstalled.

Unfortunately, this cannot be applied on the AMD system. I am really puzzled why uninstalling & reinstalling the same version of drivers triggers this type of problem.

This should not happen on a system with ATI Radeon installed.
But it’s the correct version for a GeForce 4 which doesn’t support OpenGL 2.0.
Oh. I forgot to place the GL Info Report about the Radeon Card :smiley: . GL Info reports that the Radeon 9200’s

GL_Renderer is ATI Radeon 9800/AGP/Catalyst

Check which driver is running after the restart, before you install the new one!

Microsoft was so clever to implement an automatic WHQL driver installation on known devices.

What happens on my laptop for example is that the last known WHQL driver is automagically installed after I uninstall my display drivers.
If machines are connected to the internet they even download WHQL drivers from the Microsoft’s driver database and some of those come without OpenGL installable client driver(!) aka. running SW only with the GDI generic implementation.
Unplug your system from the internet while changing drivers.

The only way to get a newer driver was to use a WHQLed one or to update the current via the device manager driver update dialog, not via the driver’s installer setup.exe.Always check the display control panel if the versions of the drivers match. I’ve seen instances where Windows
insisted on replacing the display drivers with WHQL versions, but not the OpenGL driver
I removed the INF files of the video drivers that came from Microsoft. It’s obvious that drivers that came from Microsoft don’t support OpenGL. As I mentioned before I removed all instances of drivers that were installed including the ones that came from Microsoft windows XP and it’s Service Packs (1 / 2). After uninstalling any driver and restarting the computer, Windows XP always identifies the video card as “VGA”. Meaning, that the Microsoft WHQL Nvidia driver / ATI driver is NOT installed. Usually, everytime I install a new hardware, I make sure that I am not
connected on the internet because I don’t depend on Microsoft drivers.

What OpenGL version is reported in this state?
The report before uninstalling and after reinstalling the same driver was identical:

GL_RENDERER: ATI Radeon 9800/AGP/Catalyst 5.4
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies
GL_VERSION: 1.3 WinXP

The only difference:

Before Uninstalling the driver: OpenGL programs are running smoothly at 150 FPS Minimum:
After Reinstalling the same driver that was uninstalled: OpenGL programs are running at 3 FPS maximum.

Network Servers have no hardware OpenGL support.

This is probably the same as if you move the display troubleshoot slider some marks to the left. That slider needs

to be at the rightmost notch to get HW OpenGL.

Check the NVIDIA GL_RENDERER string. It needs to report “AGP” on AGP systems. If it says PCI, the motherboard’s

chipset drivers are not correctly installed.
This solution can be applied on computers using Windows Server 2003. Windows Server 2003 disables Video HW

Acceleration by default and Video problems can be solved by setting the slider to the right. But in Windows XP, the

Video HW Acceleration is automatically set to FULL: All accelerations enabled. To Be sure, Everytime I install new

video drivers I check the Troubleshooting area under the advanced settings to check if the slider is set to the

right. Also, Enabling / Disabling “Write combining” don’t have any effect. GL Info Reports that the NVIDIA

GL_RENDERER is reporting that it is using the AGP mode.

So why not turn off this feature. In the control panel, there is something called Automatic updates. Switch

it off.
Automatic updates usually checks for new security/software patches.
The Add New Hardware Section / wizard is the one responsible for updating the device drivers.

Therefore, The Automatic Updates usually have nothing to do with device drivers.

I do really understand that solving a computer problem without the having physical contact with the computer is NOT

going to be easy.

Thanks For Trying To help.

New & Optimistic suggestions are always Welcome.

The GL version depends on the driver that is being used:
That’s correct, but seeing that you have recent hw, install the latest driver.
You said you had a Radeon 9200 in your last reply. This would probably report 1.5
If you do infact have a 9800, then it will be 2.0

I strongly suggest you test with Quake 3.
Macromedia MX Software and Cadence Engineering software are probably not good choices.

That’s correct, but seeing that you have recent hw, install the latest driver.
You said you had a Radeon 9200 in your last reply. This would probably report 1.5
If you do infact have a 9800, then it will be 2.0

I don’t know if you already forgot what I mentioned on the First Post. I will Quote it here:

System Specs:
Abit KV8 Pro Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Nvidia GEFORCE 4 MX 440 (Latest Forceware 81.95 Installed)
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
1024 MB (1 GB) DDR SDRAM (400 MHZ)
80 GB Hard Disk
Windows XP with Service Pack 2
Did you read Line 3? It says there that I tried installing the latest, greatest and most powerful driver. :rolleyes:

I will also Quote other solutions from my first post in case you’re going to ‘forget’ it. :rolleyes:

1. ALL motherboard drivers were installed prior to video,sound & external device drivers.
  1. Went to the Nvidia Archive and downloaded all versions of Detonator & Forceware Drivers but never showed any improvement on performance. The oldest forceware that supports the GEFORCE 4 MX 440 was v31.40. I downloaded all versions of Forceware drivers from v31.40 up to v81.95.
  1. After trying to install different versions (from the oldest to the latest). I used the OpenGL Info program from Delphi Tools to see the OpenGL renderer and I found out that it is using Nvidia’s latest GL driver - OpenGL 1.5.
  1. Used an ATI Radeon 9200 128 MB, tried installing the factory manufactured drivers and got same results on Windows XP (3 FPS MAX). Downloaded and different Catalyst drivers (oldest to the latest) and still, have the same results (3 FPS Max)
  • Everytime I Install a detonator / forceware driver (Nvidia), and catalyst drivers (Radeon). I always peform a clean uninstall of the previous driver installed.
  • Ironically, OpenGL programs are working on my neighbors old AMD K6-2 450 MHZ, 256 MB of SD RAM, with an ancient S3 Savage4 using Windows NT Platforms (2000 and any Windows XP programs). OpenGL works at an acceptable 35 FPS.
  • Nvidia & Radeon Support can only suggests using the latest drivers but unfortunately, It doesn’t work.
  • Viruses, Worms, Trojans, Spywares absolutely don’t have anything to do with these problems because these problem is already present after a clean low-level format and new software installation on the hard drive.

I strongly suggest you test with Quake 3.
Macromedia MX Software and Cadence Engineering software are probably not good choices.
After 4 short years, I took the Quake trilogy CD’s out of the disc shelf. & it was dusty hehehe. Anyway I installed Quake, Quake 2 & Quake 3 and tried switching Nvidia drivers (31.40 up to 81.95). There are absolutely NO error messages. As usual, they are running very slow at 3 FPS max. (Please don’t tell me that the dust caused OpenGL not to function :slight_smile: ) - The Box was the only one that was dusty, the cd’s inside are clean.)

Thanks For Trying To help.

New & Optimistic suggestions are always Welcome.

"I don’t know if you already forgot what I mentioned on the First Post. I will Quote it here:
I was refering to your other machine (or video cards). You seem to have mentioned many.

“Intel P4 2.8 GHZ
ATI Radeon 9800 128 MB
1024 MB (1 GB) DDR RAM
ASUS P4C-800 Motherboard”

You also said
“This problem can occur on any computer regardless of the setup.”

Anyway, I’ll let someone else take over.

A Weird Solution:

As you all know, Video drivers that came from Microsoft do NOT have OpenGL drivers / support and a LOT of people do complain about these problem.

My case is different. I tried doing a lot of solutions (Read my previous posts on this thread). This is the simplest solution that made OpenGL work on the AMD PC.

1. Uninstalled the latest driver from Nvidia 81.95 NT Platform driver.

2. Performed a clean uninstall of the Nvidia 81.95 NT Platform driver: (Deleted Nvidia Video Driver System files, registry entries and INF files)

3. Entered Safe Mode & used Driver Cleaner to ensure that no driver ‘residue’ is left behind.

4. Reinstalled the Microsoft Nvidia Driver that came from Windows XP Service Pack 2.

5. Of course, I restarted the PC.

I left the PC for about 10 minutes, suddenly I remembered that the Screen Saver on the PC is OpenGL based, when I came back, to my surprise, I saw the the Screen Saver (Polygons) is working at high speed.

Well, I was NOT satisfied with what I saw so I tried running GLInfo. As Expected, GLInfo reports that the system is using the GDI_Generic OpenGL driver from Microsoft. What is really surprising is that, GLInfo reports that it is running at 200 FPS. Meaning the GDI_Generic OpenGL renderer from Microsoft is running 197 FPS faster than using any Nvidia Official Forceware drivers (v31.40 up to v81.95) under Windows XP.

I tried running OpenGL programs and Games, like Quake, Quake 2 & Quake 3, and they are running at 250 FPS using 8 player demos. All OpenGL programs are now working. I don’t really understand why OpenGL programs does NOT work under Windows NT Platforms (2000, All XP Editions) when using the Official Nvidia Drivers.

Same is true with the Radeon Cards. The Microsoft ATI drivers made OpenGL work under Windows XP. OpenGL programs are running at 220 FPS.

The only setback was:

1. I can’t use Tweaking tools like Riva Tuner, Coolbits or Nhard (for Nvidia) to increase OpenGL performance because these programs solely depend on the NVOGLNT.

I’m NOT a hardcore gamer and with OpenGL programs running at 200 FPS, OpenGL life is much easier :slight_smile: & Tweaking is NOT a top priority.

What’s important is that all OpenGL programs & modes are working fine using Windows NT Platforms :slight_smile:

So if anybody out there is experiencing the same problems that I have, try the solutions that I mentioned on my previous post before doing these one. Sometimes, Microsoft drivers will make things work :slight_smile:

More Power to all those people who tried to help.

Thank Very Much! :slight_smile: