Postcript output

After rendering with opengl in feedback mode and wrote an encapsulated Postscript file
under Unix I need to include it in a WORD document under Windows98.
The document is printed correctly but no preview and no image is reproduced when the document is opened but a brief text.

Some specific header preceding the Postscript section is needed . Could anyone address me to a solution ?

Can you preview the encapsulated postscript
file with another viewer, like say Ghostscript?

If you can, then the problem is probably in
Word (surprise surprise).

If you can’t, then the problem is probably in
the postscript that is generated.

word—in my experience—knows naught of ye postscript. All it does is say some stupid text message along the lines of “I have NFI what postscript is”. It just sends the postscript to your printer and prays your printer knows about it.

It’s like protocol tunneling, but stupid.

cheers
John

I indeed send to the postscript printer the “.eps” file and it is printed ok. But I wonder why if the “.eps” (ascii) text is included in a Microsoft Windows Word Document through the Insert picture - eps format - I can’t get the preview and the view on the screen ? I can’t send a document to other guys with a lot of figures with “.eps” telling that they must, before reading, print the document. Further an “.eps” file originally in Word installed on my Pc has a pre-header in non-readable format and will see it correctly as expected.
(really mine is a more general problem that does not depend from open-gl) but if anyone has the same problem…Thanks.

Originally posted by john:
[b]word—in my experience—knows naught of ye postscript. All it does is say some stupid text message along the lines of “I have NFI what postscript is”. It just sends the postscript to your printer and prays your printer knows about it.

It’s like protocol tunneling, but stupid.

cheers
John[/b]

Originally posted by rts:
[b]Can you preview the encapsulated postscript

the postscript that is generated.[/b]

Yes with Ghostscript and I get the view on the screen. Microsoft Windows Word has a specification for including bitmap files and I have seen this on the SuperBible Book but I have the need for “.eps” files and don’t know how to specify this pre-header. someone should have the same problem…Thanks

Originally posted by rts:
[b]Can you preview the encapsulated postscript

the postscript that is generated.[/b]

Hi,

well, you can’t. hmm. If word doesn’t want to talk to you about .eps, then it’s not going to display a preview. I vaguely recall something like thumbnails embedded in .eps documents, but whether word knows about this is anyone’s guess.

You could, if you were insanely desperate, rasterise the .eps and just include a bitmap in its place.

A better alternative (since .DOC files aren’t porable, they are editable, contain revisions and stupid information like author details and last edit date and total editing time, and in general SUCK) would be to print the word document to a file and send along the postscript, or even use adobe distiller and make a PDF or something. PS and PDF are, IMHO, infintely superior to .DOC files. (For several reasons: for a start being the unix guy that I am, i have ghostview and not word.)

cheers
John