PBO

I have also used PBO successfully.
I have not encountered your problem yooyo, but I only call one glTexSubImage2D per frame, followed by a glFinish…

PBO Performances are not yet on par with PDR.

On a GeForce3, with a 1024x1024 texture, I get half the speed of PDR with PBO. Do you see the same numbers ?

I still have to test on a recent card (and with the 56.68 drivers of the GDC if I found them…)

Originally posted by Bozfr:
I have also used PBO successfully.
I have not encountered your problem yooyo, but I only call one glTexSubImage2D per frame, followed by a glFinish…

It works with glFinish… but check your CPU usage with glFinish and w/o glFinish(). It’s a BIG difference! Uploading 720x576x32bpp on my AGP4x system w/o glFinish takes 1.2 - 1.7 ms. With glFinish it takes 11-13 ms. CPU usage w/o glFinish is max 10%. With glFinish it is 100%.

For best performance I have to create 3-4 PBO’s and 3-4 textures, and render textures few frames after it’s upload.

yooyo

Does anyone know something about ATI? Will they support PBO too/are they allowed to?
Will PBO get ARB status?

Originally posted by Corrail:
Does anyone know something about ATI? Will they support PBO too/are they allowed to?
Will PBO get ARB status?

The spec is being proposed for ARB status and OpenGL 2.0 core, so hopefully it’ll be available on everybody’s implementation soon.

Originally posted by cass:
The spec is being proposed for ARB status and OpenGL 2.0 core, so hopefully it’ll be available on everybody’s implementation soon.[/QB]
Cool, thanks!

The specs are now released on nvidias website
Just for those one who haven’t niticed :wink:

http://www.nvidia.com/dev_content/nvopenglspecs/GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object.txt

For those of you that want to jump right to it.