Pattern for handling driver bugs

Need some architecture / pattern advice from OpenGL gurus…

Up to now, I’ve simply ignored the fact that Intel OpenGL drivers are dire and the software I write, run by people with Intel chips fails - well they’ve made a poor choice in GPU, their problem…

But lately, I can’t ignore the fact that there is a huge number of Intel GPUs - so they may be crap - and its not my responsibility - but ultimately I’m turning my back on a potential large number of users. Telling them to nag Intel etc is pointless - they’ve got better things to do.

So I spent 4 hours yesterday trying to find the “golden code path” in Intel’s support for FBOs that work - (the classes I have work flawlessly for Nvidia and ATI). Still haven’t found that random state settings that works - but when I do, how to incorporate a bunch of “jumping through hoops” in the code to keep the Intel driver happy into a code base?

In that, I suspect that a stable driver from NVidia/ATI will also be happy with whatever state it turns out I need to avoid Intel bugs - but it pollutes all the code.

And if anyone has any top tips for using FBO on Intel - please share!

Adam

The last major opengl program I wrote, worked 100% fine on Nvidia and ATI cards. Actually on older ATI cards had 1 driver bug, which was known, but they refuse to fix bugs on older drivers :s I used gdebugger to check for errors and other API violations and everything came back fine.

I had the same problems using FBO’s on Intel cards. glClear would clear the wrong size viewport and thus produced total garbage on the screen. I had to code some pretty obscene intel only work arounds. But still I am getting support requests with problems on Intel cards.

Is there some official way we can complain or file driver bug reports to intel? Because it’s a real headache. Intel represents something like 50% of the graphics card market share, and we have a LOT of customers that have intel machines.

" glClear would clear the wrong size viewport and thus produced total garbage on the screen."

Having the same problem! I simply have a 512x512, 256x256 and 128x128 FBO that I use to downsample images and after 1 iteration, setting the 512x512 FBO + viewport again seems to be totally ignored.

All the state Differencing debuggers show no difference in a snapshot of state at the start of the first iteration and the next - yet glClear clears a 32x32 square in the corner of the 512x512 FBO!

Please tell me you have a solution. :slight_smile:

Apart from Scissor and Viewport, am I correct is saying there is nothing else that is meant to effect pixel ownership? ie If I set a Framebuffer, set viewport and disable scissor, it should clear the whole FBO. Right?

Complaining to Intel makes no difference - they’re too big to fail, and they know it. Stuff like claiming EXT “packed_depth_stencil” when it clearly is not supported does irritate me though.

Adam

This thread caught my eye: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302717

And sure enough, seems Intel GPU messes up if you don’t explicitly set scissor (even if its disabled).

I’ve reported driver bugs to Intel before, and have actually had follow-up from them (but I’m uncertain if a fix was ever implemented). The place I did it was on their technical forums, and follow-up from an engineer happened within 2 weeks or so.

Be prepared to have code for a minimal repro case ready, of course.

This is what I used to clear viewports on Intel cards …

glEnable		(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
	glDepthFunc		(GL_GEQUAL);
	glLoadIdentity	();
	glMatrixMode	(GL_PROJECTION);
	glLoadIdentity	();

glBegin			(GL_QUADS);
		glVertex3f	(-1,-1,1);
		glVertex3f	(1,-1,1);
		glVertex3f	(1,1,1);
		glVertex3f	(-1,1,1);
	glEnd			();

glMatrixMode	(GL_MODELVIEW);
	glColor4f		(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);
	glDisable		(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
	glDepthFunc		(GL_LESS);

That clears colour + depth. But again, how can we complain to Intel ? Because the situation is bad.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.