Passing integer from vertex to fragment shader?

When I tried to pass an integer from a vertex shader to a fragment shader, i get “invalid operation”. I can expect it may have some trouble with interpolation performed in the rasterization stage. What I want to know is whether this is actually a prohibited operation or not. I think if integer passing is available, item buffer generation would be much easier.

My code is as follows.

//----- vertex shader -----
#version 150 compatibility

out vec4 pos;
out vec3 normal;
out uint id;

void main() {
pos = gl_Vertex;
normal = gl_Normal;
id = 123u;
gl_Position = ftransform();
}

//----- fragment shader -----
#version 150 compatibility

in vec4 pos;
in vec3 normal;
in uint id;

out vec4 fragPosition;
out vec4 fragNormal;
out uvec4 fragID;

void main()
{
fragPosition = pos;
fragNormal = vec4(normal,1);
fragID = uvec4(id,0,0,1);
}

When I tried to pass an integer from a vertex shader to a fragment shader, i get “invalid operation”.

Did the program link successfully? If there was a problem with the shader, it should have failed to link. So are you sure that the problem is with the integer value?

I think if integer passing is available, item buffer generation would be much easier.

What is an “item buffer?”

Link was successful, but I get errors when I do glUseProgram(program).

Item buffer is an image where each pixel has an unique id of its primitive. If we generate an item buffer of a cube, then pixels of 3 visible faces will have IDs of faces. It is used for ray tracing acceleration and line visibility testing.

• WEGHORST, H., HOOPER, G., AND GREENBERG, D. P. 1984.
    Improved computational methods for ray tracing. ACM Transactions
    on Graphics 3, 1 (Jan.), 52–69.
  • MARKOSIAN, L., KOWALSKI, M. A., GOLDSTEIN, D.,
    TRYCHIN, S. J., HUGHES, J. F., AND BOURDEV, L. D. 1997.
    Real-time nonphotorealistic rendering. In SIGGRAPH ’97: Proceedings
    of the 24th annual conference on Computer graphics
    and interactive techniques, 415–420

but I get errors when I do glUseProgram(program).

glUseProgram only generates errors if the program object is not a valid program object (ie: not returned by glCreateProgram) or if it was not successfully linked. So it looks like there’s something going on there.

Thank you for your answer.
It was my mistake. My program only displayed compile errors but link errors printing part was commented out. The link error said
“error C5215: Integer varying id must be flat”
I added ‘flat’ in front of ‘out’ like

flat out uint id;

and the problem solved.

Thank you!!

“error C5215: Integer varying id must be flat”

Wow, I had to dig deep into the spec to find that one. I found it in the section on clipping of all things. I’d never have guessed it (but it does make some sense), but apparently this is true.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.