Out of date OpenGL Version

I recently started using OpenGL and found it to be extremely interesting and surprisingly easy to use. Unfortunately the current OpenGL version installed on my computer is a bit out of date and does not offer support for many of the functions I am trying to use.

If anyone can tell me where I can find the necessary library files and headers for Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 it would be greatly appreciated (even general directions would be greatly appreciated).

Thank you for your time.

The OS maker, in your case Microsoft maintains the OpenGL libraries. Microsoft has not updated their library files since 1.1.

But luckily OpenGL has a way to work around this, the OpenGL video drivers are written by the video card maker. So you can access the newer OpenGL functions by using extensions to access the video card driver’s newer routines. Make sure you have installed the newest video drivers for your video card. For example ATI installs the openGL drivers with the Direct X drivers.

You will find many examples of using extension by checking out the main opengl.org webpage or search this forum, the topic has come up lots of times

Originally posted by SilverNoise:
[b]I recently started using OpenGL and found it to be extremely interesting and surprisingly easy to use. Unfortunately the current OpenGL version installed on my computer is a bit out of date and does not offer support for many of the functions I am trying to use.

If anyone can tell me where I can find the necessary library files and headers for Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 it would be greatly appreciated (even general directions would be greatly appreciated).

Thank you for your time.[/b]

Thanks a lot I will definitely try that (that explains why I only found version 1.1 on the microsoft site).

Well, you’re also going to need the updated header and extension files (otherwise all those calls you’re making in your application will come up as undefined).

get them here: http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/

cheers.

Check out glew.sf.net