OT questions about bmp file format

Maybe you should use the RGB colors based on luminosity instead of simplu sing the red channel only.

Use the following equation:

int iLum = (int)(.299 * (double)*pRed + .587 * (double)*pGrn + .114 * (double)*pBlu);

Hope this helps…

Besides, how many user groups are solely dedicated to discussing the BMP format?

Does it matter? He asked a question whose answer is quickly and easily found via an Internet search. This question shouldn’t be asked at any bboard or newsgroup. The .bmp format is not hiding somewhere. Microsoft isn’t interested in keeping this format a secret. It is freely and easily avaliable on the Internet. I found it (a year or so ago) in less than 5 minutes, which is less time than it takes for someone to answer a bboard post.

Originally posted by Korval:
This question shouldn’t be asked at any bboard or newsgroup … I found it (a year or so ago) in less than 5 minutes, which is less time than it takes for someone to answer a bboard post.

Well, what’s obvious to you might not be obvious to others. Incidentally, I had a similar problem sometime ago. I was actually trying to duplicate an example in the OpenGl Super Bible and it was not working. Thanks to the guys on the this bboard (dslater to be precise) I found the problem.

To see what I’m talking about check out the posting: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005385.html

But you’re right he should have searched (harder) … Anyway, I think “we” should be patient with the newbies …

[This message has been edited by Olumide (edited 03-20-2002).]

I agree with the sentiments of nickels and Olumide. This board has turned very negative lately.

Originally posted by Korval:
Does it matter? He asked a … <snip> … for someone to answer a bboard post.

Sure, that’s all true … though if someone wants to waste their 5 minutes posting a question that’s their problem. However if you decide to use 5 minutes of your precious time answering it, that’s your problem alone. No one else is at fault. If you wish to preserve your 5 minutes … just push the “Back” button. It’s probably at the top of your browser window.

[This message has been edited by painterb (edited 03-20-2002).]

Originally posted by painterb:
Sure, that’s all true … though if someone wants to waste their 5 minutes posting a question that’s their problem. However if you decide to use 5 minutes of your precious time answering it, that’s your problem alone. No one else is at fault. If you wish to preserve your 5 minutes … just push the “Back” button. It’s probably at the top of your browser window.

The problem is that if someone decides to spend 5mn helping people with real questions, he probably doesn’t want to spend 80% of this time FINDING those questions…

Anyway, the “elitism” thingy is probably true in some way.

Regards.

Eric

I can’t believe I said something that people are sort of agreeing with!
How bizarre.