OpenGL without X Windows

I don’t think that you should use an embedded ditrobution.

I reccomend that you do a “Linux from scratch”. If you’re not familiar with it, it means that you download all of the components of the os(kernel, shell, compiler, basic tools), and install them 1 at a time. You choose exactly what you want. Also, since you compile everything from scratch, it runs very fast because it is optimized for the hardware.

I recommend, that you build the system on another pc, and then strip it down to just a minimal shell and X windows. Total, it shouldn’t be more than 70mb.

note: If you only want to run 1 program in X with opengl, then you don’t need a window manager. Just execute the program in your .xinitrc file instead of the window manager.

For more information on Linux From Scratch: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

>>Just execute the program in your .xinitrc file instead of the window manager.

How do I do that? Is there any place where I can find documentation?

How do I make a minimum X installation?

My .xinitrc looks something like:

xloadimage -onroot -quiet bg.jpg
some_apps &
/usr/bin/sawfish

As mentioned, you don’t have to have a window manager but you could have keyboard focus problems without it. Your app may already handle focus in the absence of a window manager, if not look into XSetInputFocus.

The manpage for xinit has some discussion about .xinitrc

A couple of notes.

• If you use the graphical login, you need to use $HOME/.xsession instead of .xinitrc
  • The script may have to be executable
  • If you mess up in the script it can be hard to log in to fix it. I suggest having a second login with permissions to edit/delete the .xinitrc or .xsession file until you have it right.

If you want to install a mininal X windows, then I think that your only option is to compile it from source. If you get a binary verision then it will probably contain hundreds of input and video drivers that you will not use.

About not using a window manager, just replace the line in .xinitrc that starts the wm to the program you want to run

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.