OpenGL with X-Windows

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there is doing their development on Linux/UNIX VS. Windows.

I am trying to convert a small OpenGL program that I wrote in Windows (not GLUT) to run on Linux/UNIX X-Windows and I can not find any simple examples.

I am not trying to become an X-Windows expert (I have to many other things I am trying to learn right now - linear algebra!!!) and I really don’t want to buy Mark Kilgrade’s book on OpenGL with XWindows at this time. I am just looking for some simple templates that that would get me started.

I tried looking at Nehe’s web site where someone was nice enough to convert some of the tutorials to “Solaris” but they did it by using GLUT.

I also found a couple tutorials on Nehe’s site that were written for Linux and did not use GLUT.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have some suggestions/simple examples of writting OpenGL apps on XWindows (Not using GLUT).
  2. Does anyone know if XWindows source code for Linux would be compatable with XWindows source code on Solaris 8 (I know there are different window managers but is the underlying code to create and display a window in X the same across various UNIX platforms?)

Thanks for any insight you all can provide,
jpummill

I good option is to use SDL or QT.

I have played a little with Redhat linux, but was using GLUT.

Originally posted by jpummill:
[b]Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there is doing their development on Linux/UNIX VS. Windows.

I am trying to convert a small OpenGL program that I wrote in Windows (not GLUT) to run on Linux/UNIX X-Windows and I can not find any simple examples.

I am not trying to become an X-Windows expert (I have to many other things I am trying to learn right now - linear algebra!!!) and I really don’t want to buy Mark Kilgrade’s book on OpenGL with XWindows at this time. I am just looking for some simple templates that that would get me started.

I tried looking at Nehe’s web site where someone was nice enough to convert some of the tutorials to “Solaris” but they did it by using GLUT.

I also found a couple tutorials on Nehe’s site that were written for Linux and did not use GLUT.

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have some suggestions/simple examples of writting OpenGL apps on XWindows (Not using GLUT).
  2. Does anyone know if XWindows source code for Linux would be compatable with XWindows source code on Solaris 8 (I know there are different window managers but is the underlying code to create and display a window in X the same across various UNIX platforms?)

Thanks for any insight you all can provide,
jpummill[/b]

You found Nehe that’s all what you need.
Just take the glx ports of the tutorials and you get examples for OpenGL under X without using glut.
For the solaris stuff I can’t tell but i think there are some differences.

hih