OpenGL suppresses exceptions under Win 7 x64

Hello.

I have an MFC-driven dialog-based application created with MSVS2005. Here is my problem step by step. I have button on my dialog and corresponding click-handler with code like this:

int* i = 0;
*i = 3;

I’m running debug version of program and when I click on the button, Visual Studio catches focus and alerts “Access violation writing location” exception, program cannot recover from the error and all I can do is to stop debugging. And this is the right behavior.

Now I add some OpenGL initialization code in the OnInitDialog() method:

HDC DC = GetDC(GetSafeHwnd());
    static PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd =
    {
      sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR), // size of this pfd
      1, // version number
      PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW | // support window
      PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | // support OpenGL
      PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER, // double buffered
      PFD_TYPE_RGBA, // RGBA type
      24, // 24-bit color depth
      0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // color bits ignored
      0, // no alpha buffer
      0, // shift bit ignored
      0, // no accumulation buffer
      0, 0, 0, 0, // accum bits ignored
      32, // 32-bit z-buffer
      0, // no stencil buffer
      0, // no auxiliary buffer
      PFD_MAIN_PLANE, // main layer
      0, // reserved
      0, 0, 0 // layer masks ignored
    };

int pixelformat = ChoosePixelFormat(DC, &pfd);
    SetPixelFormat(DC, pixelformat, &pfd);

HGLRC hrc = wglCreateContext(DC);
    ASSERT(hrc != NULL);
    wglMakeCurrent(DC, hrc);

Of course this is not exactly what I do, it is the simplified version of my code. Well now the strange things begin to happen: all initialization is fine, there are no errors in OnInitDialog(), but when I click the button… no exception is thrown. Nothing happens. At all. If I set a break-point at the *i = 3; and press F11 on it, the handler-function halts immediately and focus is returned to the application, which continue to work well. I can click button again and the same thing will happen.

It seems like someone had handled occurred exception of access violation and silently returned execution into main application message-receiving cycle.

If I comment the line wglMakeCurrent(DC, hrc);, all works fine as before, exception is thrown and Visual Studio catches it and shows window with error message and program must be terminated afterwards.

I experience this problem under Windows 7 64-bit, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 with latest drivers (of 11.01.2010) available at website installed. My colleague has Windows Vista 32-bit and has no such problem - exception is thrown and application crashes in both cases.

Well, hope good guys will help me :slight_smile:

Driver related issues should be communicated to the company who made your driver which would be nvidia. I think it was developer@nvidia.com
send a small example code.
Send all info to them, OS, CPU, driver version.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.