OpenGL should provide direct font support

Alfonse is of course right, I meant enabling depth clamp.

gluPerspective
void gluPerspective( GLdouble fovy,
GLdouble aspect,
GLdouble zNear,
GLdouble zFar);

and least sense makes zFar

best regards
Luis

Why does it make the least sense? Did you read and understand the matrix on the page you posted?

why do you keep responding to a person who either trolling or has development delay? either way he completely ignores your explanations and keeps posting idiotic, naked statements. it’s already 20+ posts where bunch of people is trying to educate someone who clearly doesn’t want to be educated.

Thanks for the statements.

Now back to the topic:
When does “direct font support” come finally by OpenGL ?
Please don´t say “never”.

best regards
Luis

This is just plainly depressing. :doh: Even if it’s a troll it somehow funny though.

Yes, thokra
such a standard like OpenGL and no native font-support - just plainly depressing !

Have fun with the next release of OpenGL.

best regards
luis

Just to add an interesting fact to this “discussion”, Direct3D doesn’t support fonts either. D3DX has a font subsystem, but D3DX is not part of Direct3D; it’s a library layered on top of D3D. Also, D3DX is deprecated and won’t be getting updated for future D3D versions.

Thanks for the encouragement though. We will be having fun with the next OpenGL release.

So, some months are around again.
What is the current status of direct3d and openGL now ?
Do they support directly fonts meanwhile ?

What´s the sense of this thread ?
Do the developers sometimes have a look in here ?

:doh:

[QUOTE=LuisAK;1254055]So, some months are around again.
What is the current status of direct3d and openGL now ?
Do they support directly fonts meanwhile ?[/QUOTE]
No. And it’s very unlikely to happen.

[QUOTE=LuisAK;1254055]
What´s the sense of this thread ?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely none.

In this particular topic? Not likely. See previous answer for a reason.

Oh, and before this thread gets closed as it richly deserves:

Have fun with the next release of OpenGL.

I am. Thank you very much.

:wink:

… say what? O_o

What a poor system - and again you need some other tools
What date are we writing ? 2013
http://www.freetype.org/
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html
nerdy technics like 1993

I think a moderator or admin should close this topic.

This side could maybe help, maybe
[ATTACH=CONFIG]488[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]489[/ATTACH]

The History of writing:
http://www.historian.net/hxwrite.htm
This side could help - maybe

i’ve reported 1st post and one of the last OP’s posts from this thread. for lame trolling attempts\misleading nature of messages\attention whoring on Suggestions Forum. but V-Man was not online for significant amount of time and Khronos_Webmaster generally processes only obvious spam\inappropriate content.

i suggest adding OP to Ignore List and\or unsubscribing this thread. that’s what i do in case if someone on the forum goes full retard.

Rediculous, the topic “OpenGL should provide direct font support”
should be closed by a moderator, because someone has an other another oppinion
than others.

Therefore I recommend
http://www.opendemocracy.net/
for OpenGL

This is just getting… weird. Lets try to return, in a polite way, about font support in OpenGL. I’ll try.

There is an extension NOW on NVIDIA hardware providing font support: GL_NV_path_rendering at

http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/NV/path_rendering.txt

in that extension, glyphs from a font are realized as paths that the extension defines. In that extension, paths are drawn in essentially two passes: first a stencil pass to “compute” what portions of the screen are inside and outside the path and then a second path covering that area using the stencil test to actually draw to the framebuffer (and usually reset the stencil buffer).

Now, there are a large number of gotcha’s in that extension with respect to font rendering:

[ol]
[li]For low-ish pixel density, hinting is a critical part of drawing glyphs. Hinting in true type fonts is via a “program” embedded in each glyph for a virtual machine. This hinting system is not a part of GL_NV_path_rendering and likely such a hinting system will never be reasonably do-able on GPU’s.[/li][li]You will need to render with anti-aliasing enabled to get reasonable output for typical letter sizes[/li][/ol]
There are more issues; font rendering is a very, very complicated beast. Indeed, drawing the glyphs is just one step. Then there is formatting (which includes kerning) and shaping (for script fonts). The complications do not stop there; character mapping and font merging is an issue and naturally requesting a font from the system is actually very platform specific and non-trivial. The NVIDIA extension has some of this built into it, but there are gaps and will drive those into font rendering up the wall.

There are also many, many font file formats with each file format offering different features and information of the font faces that it contains. It looks like the NVIDIA extension uses freetype2 much of the time and DirectWrite on newer MS-Window platforms (likely Vista or 7 and up).

I strongly suspect that the NVIDIA extension borders on heroic; it is a big extensions that does quite a bit of stuff and I strongly doubt it coming to core GL because GL is supposed to be platform independent and font query is very platform dependent… what about platforms that do not have fonts, eh?

kRogue: IMHO it’s cool you want to contribute in a sensible constructive way, but the OP has shown time and again that he doesn’t understand anything about this topic.