OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display

I finally got OpenGL to compile on my computer. The only problem is running it. When I goto run anything OpenGL on my computer (that I made or came with mandrake) It wont load. It gives me this error.

GLUT: Fatal Error in ProgramName: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display: :0.0

I read some things and talked to some people and they all pointed me to one direction. Go into the XF86Config file and put in under the modules section Load “glx” I did that a few times and each time the same thing happened. It wouldn’t Load glx and it now won’t start up X. So I had to take it out of the XF86Config file and it will load up.

Dose any one have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Nuke

What do the relevent bits of your /var/log/XFree86.0.log say? Specifically, you should grep for “glx” and “dri” and look around there. See any error messages? If so, and you don’t know hot to fix them, you should probably share them.

What sort of video card? Distro version? XFree86 version? Got Mesa installed?
Have you visited http://dri.sourceforge.net/? Anything else you can tell us?

http://tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I am using a NVidia GeForce2 card on mandrake linux 8.2. I have all the newest version of Mesa and XFree.

The errors in the log file were.

Fatal Server error!
caught signal 11 server aborting
(ww) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (no such device
NV(0): Not using defalt mode

Do I need RAC? No

X10: fatal 10 error 104 (connection reset by peer) on x server “:0.0” after 0 requests (0 kmwn proccessed) with out events remaining

When I tryed to load x by it self it gave me these errors.

(Note: This when showed up right after it said “Loading GLX”)
Fatal Server error!
caught signal 11 server aborting

X10: fatal 10 error 104 (connection reset by peer) on x server “:0.0” after 0 requests (0 kmwn proccessed) with out events remaining

Thanks for you help so far!

Nuke

The apm is for the power management stuff (shutting off the monitor when the screen saver kicks in) so you can ignore that error.

The Nvidia card requires special drivers for the GLX stuff to work. Go to the nvidia web site and get the linux drivers. Be sure to read the install instructions carefully. It’s a little tricky. BTW - The mesa drivers don’t work with geforce cards (at least not in accellerated mode).

Hi, if you find what’s the problem I really want to know how you resolve it !!! I have the same problem and I don’t try to resolve it.
Please help
Thanks

Ya I got it. I install the nvidia kernal not that glx thing(for some reason under rpmdrake it shows two times). Then put load “glx” in and it works now. i got glx and X.

hope that helped.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.