OpenGL extensions and card drivers.

Hi, I see that NVidia are producing a lot of OpenGL extensions for their cards. I was wondering whether any other card vendors are adopting these extensions for their cards?

Thanks,
Luke A. Guest.

You can easliy see IF other vendors are using a certain extension, but not WHO.

Just look at the prefix. If the prefix is EXT, two or more vendors are developing this extension. If it says NV, only nVidia is developing this.

Example:
EXT_abgr, is used by many vendor, because it’s an EXT-extension.
NV_texgen_emboss is used by nVidia, because the prefix is NV.

The ARB prefix is the same as the EXT prefix.

Actualy that means nVidia was the vendor who sent in the extension request. It does not mean that other vendors are not developing it for their hardware. It is possible that another vendor other than nVidia will support NV_texgen_emboss.

/skw|d

Originally posted by skw|d:
[b]Actualy that means nVidia was the vendor who sent in the extension request. It does not mean that other vendors are not developing it for their hardware. It is possible that another vendor other than nVidia will support NV_texgen_emboss.

/skw|d[/b]

This is exactly what I meant. So, back to the question; does anybody know if, say 3Dfx, are using the vertex weight extension by NVidia (I cannot remember the name of it)?

Luke.

Did you mean EXT_vertex_weighting or is there some other extension that is not mentioned in NVidias own extension list for their cards?

Anyway druid has started an extension database with information about which extensions drivers support. Go to http://www.gamedev.net/opengl/ and see for yourself.

To change the topic slightly does anyone know if there is a good tutorial or other information about the EXT_texture_env_combine extension? I have managed to get my renderer to use it in combination of multitexturing, but I have just used the basic GL_ADD functionality. So a thorough tutorial or specification would be nice.