OpenGL driver available that uses a Framebuffer rather than acceleration hardware?

Is there an OpenGL driver available that uses a Framebuffer rather than acceleration hardware?

I have a graphics platform that does not have OpenGL support, but it does have a framebuffer.
I’m assuming I could use a generic OpenGL driver that could write to a framebuffer given its address.
I realize I would not get the speed benefits of acceleration hardware.

Is a driver like this available?

Thanks
Sam

You clearly intend “use a framebuffer” to me something different from using the OpenGL framebuffer. So could you clarify what you’re talking about with that?

From what I understand, you have some display hardware that can only display the contents of a specific memory location and doesn’t have any hardware drawing commands, let alone OpenGL supprt? In that case, you might be interested in Mesa3D, a project that strives to implement the GL spec. While it does have some fairly complete hardware drivers, it supports software rasterization up to OpenGL 3.3 and has a platform independend OSMesa interface for drawing into an off-screen buffer using software only rendering.

[QUOTE=FlatFootSam;1282776]I’m assuming I could use a generic OpenGL driver that could write to a framebuffer given its address. I realize I would not get the speed benefits of acceleration hardware.[/QUOTE] Writing to the framebuffer isn’t the only thing that’s hardware-accelerated; in fact it’s actually the last stage of the OpenGL pipeline. So you’re talking about a software implementation, and you’re going to lose a lot more performance than you’d like.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.