OpenGL Crashing.

Well I have a reg. Athlon 600mhz and a microstar MS-6167 mobo, along with a Diamond Viper 32mb Ultra. Mine freezes almost all the time during opengl games such as q3 halflife and others. Whats the problem here?
Cant play a game for 30 min without it crashing. It seems to be a real serious problem, yet no one has come up with a REAL fix yet.

Until the developers address this problem, I seriously doubt anybody will find a real solution.

I believe the culprit to be the VIA drivers. If your motherboard doesn’t use a VIA chipset then please say, although I don’t think the problem is the same as ours.

You can to try and remove the VIA drivers. You can do this by running the VIA 4 in 1 setup, and making sure you Uninstall the AGP drivers.

You won’t be able to use some tweak programs because they won’t work properly without the drivers. But Quake 3 and Half-Life work perfectly without it, so do all other OpenGL and Direct3D apps. ALL my problems with games have been solved by removing them, and plucking out the registry key mentioned above.

HTH

Nevermind you were right it was not related… I found mine was a network related problem. After disabling my network card q3 and halflife didnt freeze once which leads me to believe the network card is faulty in some way.

What make is your nic?

I have a Trust one, and that locks my computer every 10 seconds (or something) unless it isn’t plugged into a HUB.

Hello

Youve possibly have a IRQ-sharing problem.
The conflict doesnt have to be shown in the the properties. It just appear when you
have played a while.
Be shure that your Graphiccard and network card have IRQ on its own. Maybe you have to diable plug n play in bios. If you doesnt have free IRQ´s you can inactivate the com ports and use theirs IRQ´s.(only if you have a internal modem).

My isp @home provided me with a DLINK DFE-530TX, which is a pretty cheap card. Thelv, it does not show any irq conflicts in the properties, I will try the bios settings.

Sorry I was in a bit of hurry.
I mean your cards properties in the the device manager.
Look at the resources it have to be there.
An easier way its to download sisoft sandra(its free)there you got all info you will need. http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra

Some computer also show it in a easy way in bios but most of it doesnt. Dont rush.

Sorry again. I see youve already got it.
Well make sure your graphiccard have one IRQ on its own and your D-LINK have one on its own. Nothing should be shared with them.
A easy way to see this is sisoft sandra.

cu

hey all
ive had the freezing problem that matches the one in the first message of this series
i think microsoft has released a temporary fix for it until its been fully tested in the windows 2000 service pack 2 thats coming out soon, its for via chipset motherboards which ive noticed most of you have. the problem was due to a total lack of support for via chipsets.

get it at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q261/6/06.asp

i hope this helps i personnally havent tried it yet but you can just uninstall it if it goes wrong (WINDOWS 2000 only… I think)

Great!!

About time.

Just to add to my message that i posted yesterday i think via 4 in 1 drivers do more harm then good uninstall them and if your running windows 2000, if you get any add new hardware screens after uninstalling them use the drivers in windows 2000 because it will try to get you to install the via drivers again, just use other drivers from microsoft in your “found other drivers that may work” thingy at the hardware install screen, as it may search for the best recommened drivers, but those will be the via ones form the 4 in 1 install

(My PCs specs are earlier in this thread under a post from the same name.)

I tried the fix that Ironman suggested. It seemed to work, I got a couple hours of play after installing the patch. But still, the same crash occured, completely froze and the sound looped. Sometimes I can still toggle CAPS but if I hit the Win keys or Ctrl+Alt+Del the PC stops responding.

I hope someone figures this out, I can’t even play with D3D. It sucks so bad! First off, it’s ugly as all hell. Secondly, the refresh rate doesn’t vertical sync, and it also does this very weird “drunken” lag. If I don’t cap the FPS at 60 with “fps_max 60” (like if I go to 100) the lag is amplified and I feel like I need a couple beers to cancel out the lag.

Luckily, with the official 1.0 release of CS, they changed all of the models and made them so ****ing ugly I don’t really even want to play anymore. I heard news of 1.1 that may fix this or that I may be able to replace the models with the beautiful old ones. This glimmer of hope for a restored CS is enough that WE REALLY NEED SOME OPENGL HELP!!! Someone please help us!

-SethDude-

Ohh great!! www.asus.com is shut down DAMMIT!! As for the fixes I really don’t care anymore, just as long as it works for me. I was reviewing what you guys were saying to do this and that and blah blah… Yes, I bet we’ve all tried it before. It really depends on your computer and how your setup is. All I can say is Windows is not the best OS in the world. I’m sure many of you would agree along with those annoying BSOD’s. Anyway I’m drifting off the subject here. I hope this problem will be solved soon, and I won’t even bother contacting asus in general/tech. I have received no E-mail whatsoever in 3 months LOL! My agrivation is now tempered. KAPUTS!! I will still deal with the situation at hand though and will keep ya guys updated.

look in your BIOS for a setting something like “assign IRQ to VGA”, and conflict problems should be sorted out.
I run P3500
creative GF2 GTS
384MB pc100ram
300W PSU
never any problems except when I use NVIDIA reference drivers , they always cause problems and then only D3D…

I have:
AMD 800 (non T-Bird)
K7V
ASUS GEFORCE 256 32mb
THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM

I just found this (from asus) at another site:

From the QA Testing, we have observed potential issues when nVidia GeForce-based AGP VGA adapters are installed in an AMD K7 motherboard with Athlon processor and AMD-750 core logic chipset. This chipset cannot run AGP 2X/4X with command and data in the same cycle, which is one of the functions featured in nVidia’s GeForce 256. To solve this problem, it is recommended to use driver 3.62 or newer available on ASUS website. The driver will detect the AMD 750 chipset and set the AGP bus to 1X.

That would explain the turbo mode deal.
Turbo mode just means you are running at 4x speed, and normal or standard means 2x/1x

pretty lame huh?

I also just tried the new Detonator Drivers and Counter-Strike didn’t detect OpenGL at all. Before I could play in OpenGL, it just looked crappy.

You all might want to check out Computing.net
They have a few discussions on this as well. One guy fixed a similar problem by installing drivers in a certain order.

I seem to suffer from the same problems as u guys, except that my grapic used to work without a problem, suddenly one day after months several months the goddamn opengl and d3d applications started to freeze well at first they froze just for a short while but after a while this lead to completly freezing the system which forced me to reboot my computer. Well this problem have gotten worse now. As soon as i try to run quake3 it freezes in the game menu!! Somtimes i can enter the game and it freezes within a minut or 2. The most odd thing is that the bloody computer have started to freeze in windows!! damn i have spent 2 days to solve this problem mixing withing the setup etc etc (though i dont know what the hell one should do in there )

Ok well i got a 5169 mobo from microstar a amd k6III 450 geforce sdr.

The windows freezing thing started reacently when i had a pcmcia card installed in the isa port. i changed the setup to configure for optimal settings. yeah there i go now windows wont freeze again. But it has one time or 2 times though. Well but now i cant play any games any more cus they will freeze after a few mins.

Is it possible that i could of changed soething important in the setup for this problem to arise? if so give me some examples of what i should do

well i have the latest mobo bios graphic drivers. everything except this gl setup.
Could this solve the problem for me?
Is it worth spending the 3 hours downloading this huge file?

Ok i could solve this problem by buying a new computer and belive me i would do that if i would have the cash to do so, but i dont. I cant live without playing my favourite game quake3! I would be satisfied to have the problem solved to the old freezing once in 3-4 hours or so, but now i cant even get the damn game to work.

This is odd cus there was a time when it didnt freeze at all!

When I istalled a new motherboard and processor, none of my opengl games load, they get to the title screen and then just exit back to windows immediately.
My specs are:Thbrd 750,Aopen mk33 motherboard,Geforce2 gts.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well the new Via 4-in-1’s are out (4.25 Dec 1st) I installed them, did nothing, actually froze faster this time in Counter-Strike, Im only telling you guys this cause a lot of you have said you have Via mobos (www.viatech.com) as I do and I just want to save you guys some installing and downloading time, but then again everyones comp is a little different so, you could try I suppose. Personnaly I think they do more harm then good as I said before.

I have recently made the foolish mistake of reinstalling the drivers to try and fix another problem. This just made things work.

I am going to reinstall Windows 98 tomorrow, and my advice is DO NOT install them. Put them in an encrypted folder and forget the password. That way you won’t download them because you already have them, and you won’t open because you won’t be arsed to find the password.

You don’t NEED them to run Windows, or Counter-Strike. You may not be able to use some of the tweaking programs for your AGP slot, but then, I have everything enabled through manual regsitry entries and BIOS tweaks.

Save yourself the grief, don’t install them.

I am having the same problems as all of the rest of you guys. I’m running Windows ME on an Athlon 600 using FIC SD11 mobo. My problem is with the GeForce2 MX. I have tried Windows 2k, Windows 98 SE as well. Interestingly enough Unreal Tournament ran on Windows 2k using OpenGL mode, but crashed on ME/98 using same. Furthermore, ONLY UT would work using Windows 2k. Quake 2, Quake 3 and any other game that used OpenGL wouldn’t work. I flashed my bios, tried both with and without 4 in 1 drivers. Tried several versions of the Detinator 3 drivers. I recently discovered that if I do NOT use the detinator drivers, Unreal Tournament ran, but REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLLLLYYYYYY slow. We’re talking not playable, but…it didn’t freeze either. If anyone has any ideas, I’d appreciate them.

Special note: My mobo uses AMD 751 frontside and VIA 686A backside.