OpenGL Compiler for MacOS X 10.3.2 PPC

Hi :slight_smile:

i am a newbie about opengl and macos x, i have set up an old but still working ibook PPC G3 and i’ d like to install a Compiler for this os and the related sdk for opengl… where to start ??

Thanks in advance for the help :slight_smile:

Hmm… What OS Version are you on?

Assuming you are on OS X: OpenGL is part of the OS, and consequently the libraries are included.

XCode is free, and includes the full SDK for OS X. So in theory you should be able to get a copy of that from Apple, or somewhere on the web…
First step is to make an ADC account with Apple, where you can download it. Some OS install discs include XCode anyway… So that’s worth checking also.

And there are plenty of GLUT XCode “Hello World” projects out there… which will give you a basic shell in OpenGL…

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply, i have just downloaded the xcode program from apple site, creating an account, but i discovered that it is only for intel processor and after loading the dmg file the installer wasn’t able to load the .mpkg file… is there any version for Mac PPC computer ? i have an ibook with G3 PPC and Mac OS X 10.4.11 (85165 ) kernel Darwin 8.11.0 … Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

At least recently, the developer tools have come on the install discs that came with the computer, so you could look for those. Otherwise I would try google…

I’m pretty sure that the last version of Xcode that you can use on OS 10.4.x is Xcode 2.5. It is still available at connect.apple.com.

thanks for the info and that’s what i discovered :

Xcode 3.2.1 is an update release of the developer tools for Mac OS X. This release provides bug fixes in gdb, Interface Builder, Instruments, llvm-gcc and Clang optimizer, Shark, and Xcode and must be installed on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and higher. Xcode defaults to upgrading an existing Xcode installation but may optionally be installed alongside existing Xcode installations. See accompanying release notes for detailed installation instructions, known issues, security advisories.

so i am cut off as i do not have this version of mac os x ?? is there another way to compile open gl progam and use gcc ? maybe some not official ide or some ide developed by third party ?

ok, inserting the mac os x disc i discovered that xcode was included inside ! thanks for your time reading my posts :wink:

i need your help one more time… i have just copied this source file into my mac and tried to compile it with xcode… unfortunatly i cannot compile it and i don’t know why… i tested this source file under Amiga OS 4.1 and GCC and under Windows XP and dev c++ without problems… i think is a problem about open gl include that are missing, but i thought that they were installed inside x code… is it right or not ? thanks for the patience and the infos :slight_smile:

#include<stdio.h>
#include<GL/glut.h>
#include<GL/gl.h>
void renderScene(void)
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);
glVertex3f(-0.5,-0.5,0.0);
glVertex3f(0.5,0.0,0.0);
glVertex3f(0.0,0.5,0.0);
glEnd();
glFlush();
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
glutInit(&argc, argv);
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DEPTH | GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_RGBA);
glutInitWindowPosition(100,100);
glutInitWindowSize(320,320);
glutCreateWindow(“Primo Triangolo Semplice”);
glutDisplayFunc(renderScene);
glutMainLoop();
}

You need to use:

#include <GLUT/glut.h>
#include <OpenGL/gl.h>

Thanks, i changed the include with yours and i have this error now :

opengl has exited due to signal 6 (SIGABRT).
[Session started at 2009-10-20 00:01:53 +0200.]
ZeroLink: unknown symbol ‘_glutInit’

opengl has exited due to signal 6 (SIGABRT).

what does it means ?

First, turn off the ZeroLink option in Xcode. That’s more trouble than it’s worth. Then you’ll get link errors, because you haven’t added the GLUT and OpenGL frameworks to your project.

thanks for the info, but how can i set up the glut and opengl framework ? sorry for these “stupid” question but it is my first time here on apple mac os x… :slight_smile:

Read this tutorial:
http://blog.onesadcookie.com/2007/12/xcodeglut-tutorial.html

ok thanks for the info :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.