OpenGL affecting tooltips

I’ve written a Windows application that uses OpenGL. The problem I’m having is that the various tool tips get screwed up all over Windows when the window in my app that uses OpenGL to paint itself is open. The behavior I’m seeing is that the tool tips seem to show the text for the last control I’ve hovered over, but the tooltip length reflects the length that it should be for the current control. As soon as I close the OpenGL window, the problem goes away.

This is truly puzzling to me and I would be most appreciative if someone could explain this one to me. I am able to reproduce the problem on numerous machines. All machines have Windows XP, but different video cards.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sincerely,
Jonathan DeCarlo

I concur. I have noticed this one for some time now. It occurs on WinNT as well.

Any ideas on how to fix it? If I disable hardware acceleration in Windows, it fixes the problem. However, that’s not a good option.

Sincerely,
Jonathan DeCarlo

No, I don’t have a solution. The funny thing is it only affects the tooltips outside of applications. So the tooltips on the taskbar, start menu, and toolbars seem to be the ones affected. I think it’s a problem only Microsoft can fix.

I see. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. If anyone else knows any more information regarding this issue, please post it. Otherwise, I’ll assume that DarthPaul is right that there is nothing I can do to solve the problem.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jonathan DeCarlo

What about just disabling the cursor shadow?
This is on by default in 2K and I’ve seen it
cause some problems with tooltips and opengl.

Just made another observation concerning this problem. I have a Windows toolbar on the left side of my screen and when the tool-tips popup they refresh my openGL window. Sometimes the tooltips flicker, sometimes they do not, but the oddest thing is that the redrawn part of the tool-tip has the correct text in it and the part that doesn’t get redrawn has the old text. Very odd.

Originally posted by ldglite:
What about just disabling the cursor shadow?
This is on by default in 2K and I’ve seen it
cause some problems with tooltips and opengl.

Unfortunately, this does not do the trick. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Sincerely,
Jonathan DeCarlo

I figured I would register just to post this . This is a known problem with windows, and if you contact Microsoft, you can get a patch to fix it. However, this is the only way to get the patch…they have known about it for a long time, but have not publicly released a patch for some odd reason.

I stumbled on this thread trying to locate the patch online, without having to deal with MS. If I find it somewhere, I’ll let you know.

EDIT://
Found it:
MS site

However, I have not been able to find a copy on the 'net. I did, however, find that the bug will be fixed in SP2

[This message has been edited by shwaip (edited 12-27-2003).]

Thank you so much! I will contact Microsoft for the fix. I’m glad Microsoft finally officially recognizes it as a bug.

Thanks again… you’ve been very helpful!

Sincerely,
Jonathan DeCarlo

Originally posted by shwaip:
[b]I figured I would register just to post this . This is a known problem with windows, and if you contact Microsoft, you can get a patch to fix it. However, this is the only way to get the patch…they have known about it for a long time, but have not publicly released a patch for some odd reason.

I stumbled on this thread trying to locate the patch online, without having to deal with MS. If I find it somewhere, I’ll let you know.

EDIT://
Found it:
MS site

However, I have not been able to find a copy on the 'net. I did, however, find that the bug will be fixed in SP2

[This message has been edited by shwaip (edited 12-27-2003).][/b]

See Q814135
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814135 http://bink.nu/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1567

Though cannot find the download link. Apparently we have to wait for SP2.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.