OpenGL 4.6 error when running program written for version 4.3

Hi,

I just wanted to run a c++ program which I wrote 2 years ago on my older Ubuntu 18.04.3 machine which was equipped with OpenGL API 4.3.

On my current PC I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 with OpenGL Version 4.6 installed:

OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.2.6

Unfortunately I do not have my old computer with OpenGL API 4.3 anymore and when I am trying to run the program I get the following error message (including a black openGL window showing no animation):

1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 24 VGPRS: 24 Code Size: 140 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 32 VGPRS: 12 Code Size: 264 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 24 VGPRS: 24 Code Size: 320 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 24 VGPRS: 20 Code Size: 832 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 16 VGPRS: 8 Code Size: 112 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 16 VGPRS: 24 Code Size: 60 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 16 VGPRS: 8 Code Size: 40 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 16 VGPRS: 8 Code Size: 68 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 8 VGPRS: 24 Code Size: 52 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 16 VGPRS: 8 Code Size: 212 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 24 VGPRS: 8 Code Size: 152 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 8 VGPRS: 24 Code Size: 24 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 8 VGPRS: 8 Code Size: 60 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0
1: OTHER of NOTIFICATION severity, raised from SHADER COMPILER: Shader Stats: SGPRS: 16 VGPRS: 20 Code Size: 392 LDS: 0 Scratch: 0 Max Waves: 10 Spilled SGPRs: 0 Spilled VGPRs: 0 PrivMem VGPRs: 0

I really need to run this program, so any help would be much appreciated!

None of those are errors. Those are "NOTIFICATION"s. Specifically, those are statistics given out by the shader compiler.

What are the actual errors you’re getting?

Hi, thank you for your reply! When I run the program I only get these notifications. No error messages are printed. The program doesn’t abort unless I force it to. The problem/error is the continuous black window that is displayed instead of the animation.

Obviously this happens due to the different OpenGL versions (version 4.3 vs version 4.6)? Is it possible that some OpenGL functions are depreciated and that is why this problem with the black window occurs?

I researched and found out that there is no way to downgrade OpenGL version as the required version is automatically detected and installed.

Are there other options to draw the animation with the OpenGL version 4.6?

Thank you!

4.6 should be a strict superset of 4.3, i.e. any valid 4.3 program should produce identical results under 4.6. It’s more likely due to either a) the program not being valid for either 4.3 or 4.6 but working by coincidence on the older implementation, or b) a bug in the more recent implementation that this program happens to trigger.

Or it could be entirely unrelated to OpenGL, e.g. a memory corruption bug in the client code which you just happen to get away with on the older system (which presumably has different versions of gcc, glibc, etc as well as OpenGL).