OpenGL 3.2 support in new nVidia linux beta driver

Wit the newest AMD drivers (9.7, released yesterday) I was able to get a beta OpenGL 3.1 context. GLSL version still reported 1.30 though, but at least it seems progression is made on AMD’s side (of course I was greedy and tried 3.2 as well… but that didn’t work ;)).

I think well definitely will see geometry shaders, it’s long overdue, also a bunch of EXT extensions once will also be merged to the core, maybe also a few new ones that makes life easier with glsl 1.4 especially regarding MRT/fbo and textures.
But outside of that maybe there will be some news on the texture object front.

Personally I would love to see 4 things:

Geometry shaders

Tessellation shaders

GPU/Video resources feedback queries

Proper way to enable FSAA

Strictly get rid of deprecated features, no deprecation mode enforced.

All,

The ARB will have an update on the state of OpenGL 3 at the OpenGL BOF at Siggraph on Wednesday 8/5.

Hope to see you there!

Barthold
(with my ARB hat on)

Yeah :slight_smile:

Wish I could make it this year. Have a great show!

How can I join the ARB anyway?

By paying a lot of money. Check the Khronos website for instructions and requirements.

Direct3D made it be introducing a new kick-ass feature called GS, though not available on every HW at the time of release.

Lets have the ability to instantiate new fragments with different positions and possibly colors based on a fragment generated by the rasterizer.

Lets call it “Raster Shader” :slight_smile:

Or make it part of the FS, by adding something like:

gl_NewFradCoord[1…MAX_FRAGS]
gl_NewFradColor[1…MAX_FRAGS]

MAX_FRAGS implementation dependent on how many frags can be instantiated per rasterizer fragment.

I think the idea that the ARB is going for with GL post 3.0 is that each major version number will involve adding features for next-generation graphics cards. So all versions of 3.x will run on basically the same hardware, while all versions of 4.x will run on higher-level hardware.

There will be extensions, whether ARB or whomever, that expose the next level of hardware before being incorporated into the core.

Well I guess we’ve seen the first cycle through the deprecation gristmill with uniform buffers. Pretty smooth if you ask me, and mighty nice to see uniform blocks in the latest NV drivers.

Take a look here: http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/geometry_shader4.txt
Notice the dates and changes in the latest revisions.

According to the link, we can expect GLSL 1.5 in OpenGL 3.2, I hope this will bring new interesting features.

This extension interacts with geometry shader support in OpenGL 3.2.

Looks like the geometry shader will hit the core.

Nice new !!! :slight_smile:

Life is good. :wink:

The documentation for GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 describes wich parameters to use, and for instance “GL_GEOMETRY_VERTICES_OUT” is specified as supported in OpenGL 3.2. Notice this is not an ARB or EXT enum, so it has to be a part of the 3.2 spesification. (The ARB and EXT enums are included in glext.h) I think it would be strange if such enums becomes part of the spesification if the geometry shader still remains an extension.

Any comments on this?

That’s a very astute observation, efikkan.

i think extensions written against OpenGL 3.0 all are missing the _EXT or _ARB suffixes, so this has nothing to say, sadly.

No. Each extension that is missing _ARB suffixes is a strict subset of OpenGL 3.x. Such extensions are commonly written against OpenGL 2.x, and their purpose is to support a subset of 3.x functionality on older hardware and maintain 100% code compatibility.

I think from 3.1 and over the new features will be adding more deprecated features to the list :slight_smile: until it becomes only one extension called “ARB compatibility.” :smiley:

Well without potential features being added and ahead of current consumer HW, I see no hope.

GS is still missing.

No stable GLSL spec…