OpenGL 1.5 specs out

The Specs are out. Does someone know about drivers, that have an implementation ?

cu
Tom

ATI’s added support for ARB_point_sprite, NV_point_sprite, and ARB_occlusin_query in the Catalyst 3.9s. No extension strings for the new shaders, though.

And they still only have 1.3 as version number… whats missing in the drivers to get 1.4, 1.5?

ForceWare 52.16

Originally posted by Mazy:
And they still only have 1.3 as version number… whats missing in the drivers to get 1.4, 1.5?

Nothing, AFAIK. . . I have no idea why ATI still hasn’t changed that. . .

whats missing in the drivers to get 1.4, 1.5?
0.1 and 0.2, respectively.

Anybody know when ATI will support the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension for the Radeon 9800 ? Or even if they will ?

They certainly will eventually, but as for when. . . that’s exactly what everyone else is asking.

Originally posted by oconnellseanm:
Anybody know when ATI will support the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension for the Radeon 9800 ? Or even if they will ?

No one right now fully support the shading spec, so some of the spec will be done by software when it’s used (like the noise functions). But support will be there.

Support could even be provided for lower GeForces and Radeons, granted that only a minimal set of the features will be supported in hardware.

The driver version doesn’t really matter in Windows since you have to load everything by extensions. Anyway we all know that this number is just a number, sometimes to be handled with caution. For instance all GeForce cards claim to support OpenGL1.4, but GeForce 1/2 do not support hardware 3D textures, GeForce3/4 do not support hardware accumulation buffers, and much more to say. And of course similar issues happen with ATi cards too.

The version number is useful for knowing what is supported be it accelerated or not.

Yes, but it’s not an essential since most of the new features in the core come from extensions.
For instance if you use multitexturing, do you mendate that OpenGL1.3 should be supported, or the GL_ARB_multitexture extension ? I for one don’t even check the GL version, simply because outdated drivers will more than likely support the extension or not necessarily the new version number. In fact, the only case where I should check the GL version was if the ARB_multitexture extension was NOT supported in drivers that DO support OpenGL1.3 but such case won’t happen before a long time, if ever happens.

Its easier to tell an enduser that a program requires a minimum version, than to list all extensions he needs.

Its easier to tell an enduser that a program requires a minimum version, than to list all extensions he needs.
That doesn’t work. It doesn’t work for DX either.
It’s your responsibility to support a reasonably wide range of hardware. Then you can just tell them to upgrade drivers.

Originally posted by Ostsol:
Nothing, AFAIK. . . I have no idea why ATI still hasn’t changed that. . .

isn’t it because of problems with ARB_shadow and ARB_fp combinations? or something like that… they can’t support the spec 100% so they can’t officially update the version number… even while it may be 99.99999999999%

when you have a version number in opengl you know that a certain set of functionallity MUST be there, thats why it works in opengl… in dx the version number only tells what function CAN be there, and the caps tells you which actually are there.

if you for example need multitiexture, arb_combine and 3dtextures, its easier to write on the package “minimum opengl 1.2” than to place the extensionlist there.

and for supporting fallbacks, ofcourse its up to me to do that, but some applications doesnt need fallbacks, since you know that the buyers rather upgrades the mashinces.

>>Anybody know when ATI will support the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension for the Radeon 9800 ? Or even if they will ?
ATI implement partiotion support for GLSlang since 3.7(at least), you can find this functions inside of the GL driver. And it is possible to switch it on (but I can’t say, how :frowning: ).
Another think, that in latest NV drivers(52.xx) still no intioal GLSlang support :frowning:

Originally posted by ayaromenok:
>>Anybody know when ATI will support the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension for the Radeon 9800 ? Or even if they will ?
ATI implement partiotion support for GLSlang since 3.7(at least), you can find this functions inside of the GL driver. And it is possible to switch it on (but I can’t say, how :frowning: ).

Noone knows how to switch it on or we would have happy cries “ATI rulez!” around the forum. I don’t like it at all. To tell everyone trhat your driver supprts GLslang but disable this suport is a bad joke.

as long as they don’t have full tested support they won’t enable it…

possibly, cat4.0 will have the big feature update for gl… i mean, 4.0 is a cool number!

or possibly they could call it then ForceAti, or AtiWare, or so, instead…

if you for example need multitiexture, arb_combine and 3dtextures, its easier to write on the package “minimum opengl 1.2” than to place the extensionlist there.

I prefer telling “minimum GeForce3 or Radeon8500” or things like that, but that’s just a matter of preference.
If you invoke OpenGL1.2 for 3D textures, you will be very disappointed when the program runs on GeForce2, even though your customer will have effectively bought a card that supports OpenGL1.2 !

[This message has been edited by vincoof (edited 11-07-2003).]