Open GL is CLOSED on my machine!

Hello all,

As you are my one and only hope before I throw my computer in the bin I hope someone can answer my question.

I have no openGL depsite the fact I am running an NVIDIA RIVA128 CARD. I have tried installing and downloading one thing after another but in the end it just crashes (blue screen, red screen, or whatever colour the application is)

Finally I came accross a fix (Ihave windows 98) that told me to look in the WIN.INI file to see if a line had been commented out and un-comment it. I couldnt find anything wrong in there.

If I try to run an open GL windows screensavers like 3D pipes or Maze my machine just crashes.

Where is MY open GL? I have downloaded countless different versions, windows direct x and still nothing.

HELP ME! I cant afford a new graphics card, I did have a 16mb banshee but I threw it away thinking it was the card that was the problem… It looks like it wasnt

glennfoster@emailaccount.com

You’re probably going to regret throwing away your Banshee video card after you read what I have to tell you. Before I get to that there’s something else you should know. I need more information about your system. It’s almost impossible to pinpoint the exact problem without knowing exatly what’s inside your pc. You listed you have an NVidia video card but you didnt say which one or how much memory it has onboard and you’re using Windows 98 but you dont indicate if it’s the 1st or 2nd edition. Some of the more typical things you should put in your post that are helpful when trying to troubleshoot a problem like this are the following.

Brand of motherboard (not always necessary)
Processor (AMD, Intel, Cyrix, etc.)
Brand of video card and amount of memory
Brand of sound card
Speed of CD-Rom drive
Brand and size of hard drive (space left as well. If there’s not enough room then it wont work properly)
Amount of memory
Brand and type of operating system

There is a link I’m going to include which may help you isolate the problem with your NVidia video card.
http://glsetup.com/ihvs/nvidia/riva128/index.htm

NVidia Riva 128 and 128ZX Issues

* Windows must be in 16bpp desktop color mode for 3D hardware acceleration to work on these chipsets. Please use the display control panel to switch your color depth to 16bpp if you want 3D acceleration.

* The Riva 128/128ZX chipset is missing a number of modern 3D features, so visual artifacts may occur.

* Changing desktop color depth on the Riva 128 PCI on Windows95 OSR2 crashes the system.

* Riva 128 PCI on Windows98 hangs often on one of our test machines, especially on exiting applications or during a lot of 3D activity.

* If you experience problems with launching the display control panel, you may have parts of a older version of the drivers still installed. Try uninstalling GLSetup and the older version of the drivers, then reinstalling GLSetup.

http://glsetup.com/ihvs/nvidia/rivatnt/index.htm

NVidia Riva TNT, TNT2, and GeForce256 Issues

* GLSetup now installs the same driver version (5.32 for GLSetup build 116) on all platforms, rather than installing older drivers on Windows95. NVidia appears to have fixed the bugs on Windows95. Please be sure to report a bug if you detect a problem with these drivers on Windows 95.

* Make sure your video card's BIOS is up-to-date before installing drivers.

* The NVidia TNT and GeForce driver control panels on Win95 do not seem to load the "Additional Properties" pages correctly.

* The TNT on Windows95 crashes intermittently and other times runs incredibly slowly in 16bpp mode. Changing the display depth to 32bpp sometimes fixes the performance problem. If you have this problem, you might try running the latest TNT drivers from NVidia's website.

* TNT2 AGP cards sometimes hardware hang because of AGP incompatibility issues.

* If you experience problems with launching the display control panel, you may have parts of a older version of the drivers still installed. Try uninstalling GLSetup and the older version of the drivers, then reinstalling GLSetup.

http://glsetup.com/ihvs/index.htm

If none of these solutions solve your problem then let me know. My email address is todd.f@mindspring.com Good Luck.