Old Voodoo2 user

Yeh, i gotta developp openGL apps under linux with an old voodoo2 accelerator chipset card. But V2 isn’t supported by DRI, and my exec prg only use my Matrox 4Mo PCI card (a little bit old fashion too) )–> the result is a little bit to slow for me

How can i manage to use my V2 ? (XF86 4.02, Mesa 3.0 compiled and installed on my system)

Any tips or pieces of help are welcomed !

Back when I had a voodoo2, I had to download the glide development kits and Mesa source and build Mesa specially for Glilde.

Full instructions at www.mesa3d.org

I can’t find glide binaries since 3dfx has shutdown its activity. Well, Freshmeat can’t help me anymore, since all links given are broken

Moreover, my system is from scratch (i compiled the averall system, and i remember that glide was only diffused in an rpm package form.

So how do i manage to install glide ? (and therefore, where can i find it ?)

thx by advance !

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=glide

First, thx to Rts. Another point that is not easy for me.
Voodoo 2 does only work on fullscreen mode. I’m using glut (3.7) and i’m using
> glutFullScreen();
function in order to respect this point.

But glutFullScreen() opens a windows that use all the screen, but it is still a windowed mode, and i fear that the voodoo does not work again.

Any piece of information ?

(i think i’ll buy a gforce if it continues…

I dunno. Back in the day I just followed the instructions at www.mesa3d.org and it all worked.

A Matrox G400 or NVidia GF2 should be pretty cheap. I would definitely recommend an upgrade if you can afford it.

i had a voodoo2 under linux with an ati xpert play98

First of all, you need to desinstall xfree4 for a 3.3.6 with the appropriate accelerated server (it was mach64 for me).
Then, find mesa 3.2 on the net and the glide libraries in the rpm format (if you don’t have rpm, just install it once).

Then you have to compile mesa lib with the command:
./configure --with-glide=/usr
make ; make install

now with an export MESA_GLX_FX you will have an acceleration that uses the frame buffer (so you first graphic card -not the voodoo- need to be recognize by xfree accelerated)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jide:
[b]i had a voodoo2 under linux with an ati xpert play98

First of all, you need to desinstall xfree4 for a 3.3.6 with the appropriate accelerated server (it was mach64 for me).
Then, find mesa 3.2 on the net and the glide libraries in the rpm format (if you don’t have rpm, just install it once).

Then you have to compile mesa lib with the command:
./configure --with-glide=/usr
make ; make install

now with an export MESA_GLX_FX you will have an acceleration that uses the frame buffer (so you first graphic card -not the voodoo- need to be recognize by xfree accelerated)

At the end, you must use glut to do so !

Hi Folks,

I have a 128MB, 200MMX, ATI Expert98, Voodoo2 system and SUSE 7.0

Does anybody have a FAQ or HOWTO to get me to
the point where I can see any opengl demo running in full-screen with the voodoo accelerating them ?

I have mesa/glide/glut installed, but have no demo that will come up in fullscreen :frowning:

I did search the web for all hints, this mailing list seems to be as close as I could get, thanks in advance

Stefan

use ‘export MESA_GLX_FX=fullscreen’ to
enable fullscreen (if you have glide properly installed). to check for that, try
‘ldd /usr/local/bin/gears’ (assuming you have gears, a small opengl demo, installed in /usr/local/bin). It should list a bunch of libs, including libGL.so AND libglide2x.so (or any other glide version). If it lists a libGL, but no glide, your mesa doesn’t link to glide and you need to rebuild mesa.

Hi Folks,

export MESA_GLX_FX=fullscreen
gears

get’s me a

gd error (glide):Permission denied.
Couldn’t change I/O priviledge level.
fx Driver: ERROR no Voodoo1/2 Graphics or Voodoo Rush !

and the demo comes up in a window and runs slowly (but nice :slight_smile:

as root I get

GLUT: Fatal Error in gears: could not open display:

ldd ./gears reveals that it linked against

libglut, libGL, libGLU, libglide2x

I can’t be that far off enjoying this demo accelerated with my voodoo2 card, can I ? :slight_smile:

Any further hints appreciated.

Thanks

Stefan

export DISPLAY=:0.0

did the job for me as root. Now I only have to find the instruction on how to make it work for users and I’m totally happy :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.