nVidia - gamma corrected antialiasing

I have a program which renders on a buffer and does some post-processing on the CPU expecting a linear blending has occured… but gamma corrected antialiasing is getting in the way.

Is there a programmatically way to change the setting without having the user go to the nvidia control panel ?

Thanks in advance!
Marco

Do you mean that the user has forced anti-aliasing to be on via the control panel? If so, then the only way to override that is to do the texture sampling and filtering manually.

No it’s not the “force antialiasing setting”, I am rendering intentionally on a multisampled PBO.

The problem is nVidia has a setting in their drivers which enable gamma correction for antialiasing and, to make the matter worst, it is enabled by default.

With that setting enabled the “antialiasing pixels” have a non-linear blending.

I make an example:

Let’s say that my Blending function is SRC_ALPHA for RGB and ONE for alpha and the framebuffer is black.
I render a white (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) triangle with alpha 0.5.
The expected outcome (and it is) is to have for triangle pixels (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5).
For antialiasing pixels I’m expecting lesser values, but always with the components all equal, for example (0.3, 0.3, 0.3, 0.3).
When the antialiasing gamma correction is enabled, this is no longer true and some pixels have a wrong value like (0.4, 0.4, 0.4, 0.3).

Since I’m using a post-processing routine on that buffer, this leads to incorrect results, unless the setting is disabled.

The post processing part, is done on the CPU and is simply bringing the buffer to non-premultiplied alpha (dividing the RGB by the alpha value).

glDisable(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB_EXT) should help you in case glIsEnabled(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_SRGB_EXT) returns true for your FBO.

See:
http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/EXT/framebuffer_sRGB.txt

I had already tried that… I guess nVidia “forgot” to bind their antialiasing gamma correction to the extension disable :frowning:
If I ever will find a way to solve this issue I will post the answer here.

Thanks anyway!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.