nVIDIA drivers slow?

I can’t find any errors in the log files.
(XF86Config-4 is used instead of XF86Config)

The agpart driver doesn’t make it much faster.

I’ve checked that HOWTO but there’s nothing new in it.

grady, I won’t delete this topic

I’ve been running some benchmarks today and most of them were faster with Linux.

Except the NeHe tutorials (again), wich seem to run slower.

Which NeHe lesson are you using? I am responsible for porting lesson32, (The model loading tutorial) and would be concerned if it was happening with my port. I have never compared the performance to the windows version, so I wouldn’t know.

This might not be your problem…but check to see what bit-depth you are in. I use the nvidia drivers for a Geforce 2 GTS.

I was in 16 and a NeHe Linux Tutorial 3 failed…glutInit would’nt support GL_ALPHA at all at 16bit , although the NeHE linux/glx Tutorial 3 worked fine…

Switched to 24 bit and all is well. 24 bit seems faster to me…BTW how do you get FPS out of TuxRacer?

Originally posted by davace:
Which NeHe lesson are you using? I am responsible for porting lesson32, (The model loading tutorial) and would be concerned if it was happening with my port. I have never compared the performance to the windows version, so I wouldn’t know.

davace:

It’s also slower with tut32 but it is my own fault…

It’s because the VSync is enabled under Linux but I always disable it under windows.
(NeHe’s tutorials don’t use time to keep everything in sync so it’s faster when VSync is disabled)

I’ve tried to disable it under Linux but I have to set an environment variable, __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK, to zero and I don’t know how to do that…
(setenv doesn’t work…)

linuxedge:

I don’t have 24 bpp support on my GF2MX (I think they left it out because it’s actually slower than 32 bpp)

You can see the FPS in TuxRacer by editing the “options” file in the hidden “.tuxracer” directory wich can be found in your home directory.
(on my installation it’s “/home/richardve/.tuxracer/options”)

Originally posted by richardve:

I’ve tried to disable it under Linux but I have to set an environment variable, __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK, to zero and I don’t know how to do that…
(setenv doesn’t work…)

To set an environment variable in bash:

export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0

To make that “permanent”, add that line to your ~/.bash_profile.

The “setenv” command is for tcsh, I believe.

[This message has been edited by rts (edited 05-16-2001).]

Just a note : When using nVidia’s drivers, make sure that agpart is NOT compiled into the kernel. When I enabled agpart, /proc/nv/card0 reported that AGP was disabled. Without agpart, AGP is enabled with nVidia’s drivers.

I think that you should be able to have agpart enabled and the driver should pick the right agp driver.

If someone missed it: new drivers are available!
No speed increase for the gears sample but some other programs seems to run faster. Maybe is the copy buffer functions better?
Most new stuff for GF3 but also other new extensions and TV out!

just a thought, the last linux version I set up had a wierd glitch depending on which window manager i used. Another prob- (sounds like yours) is is that my frame rates would be about 40% slower then they should have been. Usually to get around this I would go back and set up the drivers, XF86Config, and move libglx, and GLcore, edit XF86Config, and XF86Config-4, check lsmod and then restart. This almost always worked. Now I am using Mandrake 8 and X 4.0.3 with new Nvidia drivers- but - I do not always see gears flying , but then quake3 runs at about 111 fps @1024x768 trilinear, high textures.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.