Nvidia drivers 2312 and pbuffer

Does any body know if new NVidia drivers
support pbuffers under linux? Where can I find how to use pbuffers in X11 in general?

Originally posted by alex_sad:
Does any body know if new NVidia drivers
support pbuffers under linux? Where can I find how to use pbuffers in X11 in general?

The new nVidia driver advertises pbuffers
in its reported extension, and also the
doc says its there. I didn’t try it yet
myself.
But the extensions also say it supports
multisample, yet I couldn’t get that to
work…

Yes, they are supported. I’m trying to get them to work right now (with no success so far).

Haven’t found any decent web pages describing how to use them, beyond what I get when typing “opengl pbuffers” into Google.

Please let me know if you find anything useful.

With the mentioned NVidia drivers, pbuffers under linux really work (I was successful yesterday). The only useful documentation I fould on the net is the GLX specification 1.3 at
ftp://ftp.sgi.com/opengl/doc/opengl1.2/glx1.3.pdf

flo

I was able to create a pbuffer and opengl
context for it, but current context
does not change when I set it with
glXMakeContextCurrent. Older glXMakeCurrent
changes current context, but X server chrashes when I’m trying to render into
the pbuffer

I also had to use glXMakeCurrent, as glXMakeContextCurrent crashed my application (not the X-Server). Still, I also have some occasional X-Server crashes when using GLUT as user interface. When using Togl (Tcl-OpenGL-binding) everything is stable.

BTW: for me, glXQueryVersion reports GLX-version 1.2; is this a driver bug of NVidia?

I’m using glut, and it crashes immediatly.
As I understand Nvidia did not claim they
support GLX 1.3, just SGIX_pbuffer and
SGIX_fbconfig extensions

I’m using glut, and it crashes immediatly.
SGIX_fbconfig extensions

Yes, I noticed that. Which is wierd, because I can’t find the functions for the SGIX extensions anywhere…

[This message has been edited by nutball (edited 12-04-2001).]

SGIX_fbconfig extensions

Hmm, funny, because I almost exclusively used GLX 1.3 functions to create a p-buffer. After looking at those SGIX extensions, it seems that they are just a subset of GLX 1.3. This explains why glXMakeContextCurrent was not available for me.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.