nvidia driver error

posted here since i know a few nvidia guys read these forums

over the last year with my last card gf5900
occasionally ild get the error (not enuf power performance is lowered)
the card is only thing connected in the cabiniet to power cable (450 + 500 watt PSUs used btw)
i got a new card yesterday gf7600GS (btw very nice ~2x as fast as gf5900 + ~3x as fast with shaders, a medium range card easily beating out a high range card of the last generation :slight_smile: )
anyways i got the same error just now (seems to happen when its cold)
screen shot
http://www.zedzeek.com/junk/nvidia.jpg
(yes 4am i just got up, couldnt sleep)

the reason this is an error is,
ive had it where ive been testing out a 3dprogram only to have that power message popup so i go, **** better shut down that app ASAP but as soon as i try to focus that app to shut it down, the nvidia driver goes hmmmm we’ve lost focus, better display another message just in case the user has forgotten (repeat infinity) in short u can only stop the app by killing the pid (or resetting the computer)

the solution is for the driver if its gonna display that message to first check if it aint already doing so

I think it’s not a good idea to have 2 PSUs, if that’s what you are doing. I did that once with old AT hardware and it would not boot.

i didnt know that was possible
sorry to clarify, i mean theres been two different power supplys in the system

There really is no reason why you couldn’t have 2 PSUs in a system, just have to get them to turn on at the same time. They sell kits to do this.

I thought I’d post saying while doing some openGL work, I was debugging a app, when all of the sudden the video signal got lost. I could still do stuff blindly on the machine, but it was a real pain to reboot to fix this. This was with a 7600GT. I can’t reproduce this though, which gots me baffled.

when all of the sudden the video signal got lost
I had the same couple of times on my 7800GT / Win XP / 91.31 drivers. Can’t really tell what could be causing it. If I’m not wrong it was always during display mode change but I cannot tell that for sure.
And now back to the topic - these new GPU’s are really power hungry, but I only saw this message when I forgot to connect power to GFX card. Never seen it with properly connected power, so perhaps your power supply is too weak or it’s malfunctioning. Check your power connection to GFX just in case.
Still - displaying that message over and over again should in my opinion be fixed by NVDIA if it’s not allready fixed.

And now back to the topic - these new GPU’s are really power hungry, but I only saw this message when I forgot to connect power to GFX card. Never seen it with properly connected power, so perhaps your power supply is too weak or it’s malfunctioning. Check your power connection to GFX just in case.
power supply is way more than ample + is good two different psu + two different cards (+ two differnt houses + they all went marching in)
anyways im not to concerned (this aint a hardware fixit forum)

btw if anyone gets this message make sure the card is the only thing on the power lead (ie its not connected to a harddisk as well etc)

i just wanted to report this bug, cause i can imagine some kid playing counterstrike + gets this message + goes, better shutdown the game in case i screw my hardware but only to find s/he cant shut the game down since everytime s/he changes windows focus to the game a new hardware warning pops up

cheers anyways

bump
rereading my last post it might of given the impression ild solved it, which i hadnt

its winter again + this issue is back with a vengence, how can i disable this popup?

Maybe some from there knows
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-33.html

also try forums at http://www.extremetech.com

Nvidia has a public message board now, for Cg, tools and sundries. Maybe you’ll have better luck there…

P.S. When did you last flash your BIOS? I flash mine every chance I get.