Number of performance states for Fermi GPUs

Thanks Dark for the support. Alfose is a really clever guy. I don’t have problem to communicate with him. :wink:

Let’s back to the topic… Yes, the problem is in inability to have a consistent test environment. You have found the way to disable power management options, but who guarantees that some application will not cross over TDP when power management is disabled and cause graphics card damage. Also, new AMD’s PowerTune engine controls clock speed on a very fine level. Unlike with NV cards that have several P-States, Cayman has a whole range of different working frequencies. Even if you (somehow) disable PowerTune, it is likely that TDP clamping will remain. Who guarantees that the working frequency will be the same if you reach TDP? The most effective way to control dissipation is to control frequency. I just ask them to provide public interface to read the current frequency. Nothing more.

This is the illustration of what I need. State Tracker It is a Windows application that works only on NV cards.

Now I agree. I’ll discuss it with some seniors and let you know when there is any news.

I’m glad you have agreed.

Thank you in advance!

See if ADL_Overdrive5_CurrentActivity_Get() function in ADL SDK is what you want. You can download ADL SDK here http://developer.amd.com/sdks/ADLSDK/Pages/default.aspx

Wow! I asked for the ability to track frequencies and you gave me an oveclocking tool.

Really nice, indeed! Thank you! Unfortunately I don’t possess any of your cards and it would not be nice to play with other’s people hardware.

I have tested it on several cards and the conclusions are the following:

• AMD denotes P-States in opposite way (P-State 0 is the lowest P-State, and 2 is the highest for the previous generation of cards - 5xxx)
  • Cayman GPUs (6xxx series) also change P-States in discrete steps. How can we activate PowerTune and have a continual frequency changes?
  • All frequencies are defined in strange units (tens of kHz). Why didn’t you use simply kHz?
  • The number of BUS lanes varies. Why is it so? How P-States are controlled by disabling BUS lanes? Is there any documentation publicly available? I would be glad to read something about it.

Is there any additional technical documentation publicly available about Overdrive5 or ADL? It is a really nice API.

Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.