No idea how to start

Planning ahead, you mean like writing psuedo code?

No, I mean assuming you’re gonna face problems you can’t solve and can’t work around with your current level of knowledge. Every developer faces such problems every once in a while but with a good foundation you’re gonna get around them much more easily. Others may suggest a different approach, but working through one comprehensive tutorial (no matter if online or with a textbook, as long as its good) for C++ and OpenGL doesn’t hurt. I will take you some time in the beginning but will save you a lot as you go on.

Oh. Well I finished the book “Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson” which is mostly console stuff, but it covers a lot of the groundwork stuff, and I have it for reference should I need it. I’ve also done a heap of other tutorials, but they were all pretty inferior to this book I have found. I am currently working through this tutorial for OpenGL: OpenGL 2 Tutorials – Swiftless Tutorials - Various older tutorials and newer programming musings

I find that I can really understand all the code, and I am writing my own code to go with the exercises. I am expecting to hit problems I can’t solve eventually, in which case I would invest more time in learning whatever it is I’m having trouble with.

HEY guys. I once again need some help. I’m trying to use the glut “glutEnterGameMode();”
method. (glutGameModeString(“1024×768:32@60”):wink:

I get an error in my command prompt window:

freeglut (C:.exe directory of project) unable to parse game mode string: ‘1024||768:32@60’
freeglut (C:.exe directory of project) The graphics mode is not supported. Problem with requested mode: ‘1024||1050:32@59’
freeglut (C:.exe directory of project) failed to change screen settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: the program just runs in its standard 300x300 window (or whatever size i give it)

…Anyone? this problem isn’t yet solved. how Do i make this work???

1024×768

You used a Unicode character, not the lowercase character “x”. These are two different characters, and FreeGLUT has no idea what you’re trying to give it. Indeed, depending on your compiler mode, it may have no idea what you meant.

Also, did you really need to bump this thread after four hours? People aren’t being paid to answer you; let it happen in its own time.

[QUOTE=Alfonse Reinheart;1239653]You used a Unicode character, not the lowercase character “x”. These are two different characters, and FreeGLUT has no idea what you’re trying to give it. Indeed, depending on your compiler mode, it may have no idea what you meant.

Also, did you really need to bump this thread after four hours? People aren’t being paid to answer you; let it happen in its own time.[/QUOTE]

Even using lowercase ‘x’ it gives the same errors and doesnt work

[i][ATTACH=CONFIG]223[/ATTACH]
I need your help yet again, friends!

For some reason It kinda inverts the red/blue of “picture.bmp” when I add it as a texture to my square. Why is it doing this, and how can I fix it?

thanks.[/i]

Fixed. I’m such a genius.

Hey guys, I need some help. For some reason the following code isn’t working as I’d like it to.

this is the display function in my: glutDisplayFunc(display); and glutIdleFunc(display);

void display()
{
glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); // Sets Color to red <— Only works for the first frame and then the cube turns white for rest of program
glutSolidCube(2); // our character to follow

... some other code

glColor3f(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f);
    cubeFunc();		// creates a bunch of cubes

glutSwapBuffers();

}

For some reason The program makes the cube that’s meant to be red, white like the other cubes created by cubeFunc(). It’s truly bizzare and I can’t figure out why it’s doing this.

Help is greatly appreciated

HELP!

1>InitialFunctions.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol “unsigned int __cdecl loadtextures(char const *,float,float)” (?loadtextures@@YAIPBDMM@Z) referenced in function “void __cdecl loaderUp(void)” (?loaderUp@@YAXXZ)
1>C:\Users\Jossos\Documents\lrn2prgrm\OGLPrax7\Debug\OGLPrax7.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I have no idea what this means. My loadtextures function works fine in other programs. Why am I getting this error???

Also in properties -> linker -> additional dependencies I have:
opengl32.lib
glu32.lib
glut32.lib
glew32.lib

Still doesn’t work?!?!?