newer version / alternative to glTrace (23a2)

Hi,

I’m trying to debug a strange problem in our game engine and could really use a tool like glTrace.

The problem is that the version I found (2.3 alpha 2) crashes when I try to use it.

I believe that it’s because I use OpenGL 1.4 and lots of fairly new NVidia extensions.

So my question; Is there a newer version available elsewhere or maybe another similar tool? I remember that I used some utility from IBM at one point and Intel IPeak at another point.

But that was at a previous company and several years ago… so I can’t remember where to find those programs anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Rumor has it that the new version of “depends” that comes with MSDEV version 7 can do call-count profiling. I don’t know, because I haven’t been able to upgrade yet.

Worst case, you can just load all of the GL you need in your own wrapper, and put the call counting (and/or argument logging) there. It’s a little bit of work, but probably shouldn’t take more than a day or two for an implementation that only does whatever you specifically need it to.

In my opinion, everytime you improve the debuggability of your project, you find yourself wishing you’d done it a lot sooner.

The nice thing about gltrace is you have the source , so compile it in debug, and check where it crashes.

I had a problem with functions , and arguments not being there, so I added them myself. Gltrace is not difficult to augment, just a little repetitive.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by heath (edited 12-29-2002).]

Ok, thanks.

I will try to do a customized version of glTrace then.

cheers,
Peter