Newbe problem

Hi! I just got a Voodoo2-card from a friend… It’s a PCI card and my computer claims to have installed it properly, the thing is, when I connect my monitor to the card I don’t get any signal, and in the properties of the monitor it says it’s still using my old AGP-card (which I have not removed from the machine)…
what to do?!

Ok do this stuff:

1. Go the the control panel
  2. Open up the system one
  3. Go to the device manager
  4. Go to display adapters
  5. Right click on your old card and disable it

I think that should do it. You have to disable the old card before you install the new card. I’m sure you could still do it. I don’t ahve a lot of experience with this so i may be wrong. This is what i did when I installed my card. If it doesn’t work…go back to the device manager and re-enable it.

Hope it works

• Halcyon

The Voodoo2 is a add-on card (yeah as in ADD-ON ) It can only do 3d so it needs a main graphic card (the AGP card in your case) to 2d (desktop) work.

You may have noticed that there are two plugs on the Voodoo. One goes to the monitor and one (using a loop cable) goes to your main video card (the AGP).

While your are on the desktop the AGP does the work, when you switch to 3D the Voodoo will take over.

There are some things you need to know.

There is no offical (final) Voodoo2 driver for W2K and XP. In fact even the W9X drivers are outdated (3DFX went out of business some time ago).

If your AGP card is at least a Nvidia TNT or an ATI Rage 128 it will outclass the Voodoo2 in 3d anyway.

(looks at his old Voodoo2 taking dust in the cupboard… sights thoose where the days when the ship was real…)

Originally posted by Arvid:
Hi! I just got a Voodoo2-card from a friend… It’s a PCI card and my computer …says it’s still using my old AGP-card (which I have not removed from the machine)…
what to do?!

Buy a brand new GeForce 2 MX 400 (really cheap actualy) and throw away your PCI board…
What r u expecting from an old PCI device ?
PCI versus AGP = AGP wins so far !

First of all, a Voodoo 2 is not equal to a Rage 128. It’s definitely more closely matched to the Riva TNT (not in 32-bit color of course). Running a Voodoo2 using Glide is way better than a Riva TNT in Direct3D.

As for the Voodoo2 problem, make sure everything is connected correctly. The Voodoo2 has a VGA passthrough cable that goes from the main vid card to the voodoo2, then the monitor connects to the voodoo2. Next, OpenGL doesn’t work well with voodo2 cards, so don’t expect much from it in OpenGL.

what are u saying gelatin guy it was voodo who discoverd the OpenGl so it works well withe Opengl

Originally posted by Brato:
what are u saying gelatin guy it was voodo who discoverd the OpenGl so it works well withe Opengl

Now this is BS. OpenGL is around for alot longer than 3DFX. And all 3DFX had for the Voodoo2 was an MCD (stripped down OpenGL) and not an full ICD.

OpenGL was invented by SGI not by 3DFX.

The day 3DFX went out of business all 3DFX cards became scrap.