New to OpenGL in Linux

Originally posted by martin_marinov:
[b]Hi,
I use RedHat 7.1 Personal. Never had any problems with installing Nvidia drivers, compiling under non-Nvidia hw with Mesa/DRI - (Ati, Matrox, etc). Everything related to development/OpenGL(and not only this) worked from the first time.
I guess now redhat is considered something as M$ amoung the linux distros - but still it is one of the best
Worth a try…

Regards
Martin[/b]

OT warning:

OK, I started with slackware (long time ago). A little while after that everyone seemed to be using Redhat, so I switched too. Up to Redhat 6.2 it seemed very very nice. 7.0/7.1 was so so so broken (lot’s of crashes, and problems) that I completely gaveup on it. I’ve been using Mandrake, and it’s been pretty good, but constantly getting more unstable. I’ve never seen Linux crash so much. I’m getting close to switching back to Redhat. (One of the main reasons that I use Linux in the first place is beacuse of it’s UNIX roots giving it a solid foundation). Mandrake’s crashing is making me want something else…

Is it safe to go back to Redhat now?

Originally posted by Old GLman:
[b]Hello again.

I wrote a little glut test program. I compile like so:

gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXi -lXmu -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lm -o gluttest gtest.c

My question is why do I have to specify the libraries directory? Isnt it standard like /usr/include/ ?

PS No it hasnt taken me this long to write a simple test program since my original post I’ve been learning linux in general…

Thanks for your help.[/b]

Hi,
I compile X/OpenGL programs in the same way (well using makefiles). I guess /usr/X11R6/lib should be included, because X is not something which is considered part of the standard linux libraries - you can use another X servers, even not use X at all…
Still I’m not a linux expert, so the reason may be another…

OT
amendol, I’ve used Suse once before 18 months, since then I use only RH 7.1 - at home, at the university, at work… - seem like everyone here is using only this. I cannot comment on any problems with it, I did not had any…

Regards
Martin

Red Hat 7.3 is quite better… but got very…very fat… is not made for slower machines…

If you dont like to use so much libraries… you can use SDL… so your compiling would be
gcc -lGL -lSDL -lpthread namecode.cc

Just to jump on the linux newbie band wagon…I’m using Redhat on a University network.

I’m trying to make the Linux/GLX example from NeHe’s lesson01. I get an error like so:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/…/…/…/libGL.so: undefined reference to ‘pow’

In fact this happens with all the GLX ports on NeHe’s site, with me anyway.

From my limited knowledge of Linux I’d say I’m using gcc 2.96 on RedHat 7.3 (I think?!?)

Should I get a new version of libGL? Don’t know if anyone can throw any light on this…

[This message has been edited by thelamberto (edited 08-16-2002).]

the pow function comes from the math library. You need to ad -lm to you compile to link in the math library.

Jamie

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.