New Extension

Simply

GL_ARB_hlsl

Which allows the use of HLSL for shaders. The reason I proposed this extension is because HLSL is currenly more mature and makes alot of sense as a shading language. The GLSL is undergoing changes and stability/comparability issues with previous versions…

While you’re at it, why not have “GL_ARB_D3D” where you just use the D3D API.

With such proposals like this, one wonders why the ARB doesn’t really take this suggestion forum very seriously…

Not to be rude, but this is the worst idea ever.
I you put HLSL on openGL than you have to maintain compatibility between Microsoft language and openGL extension.
If Microsoft add a feature on HLSL so openGL be the same.
HLSL support tesselation shader… so GL_ARB_hlsl must support it, and so openGL.
Basically Microsoft will take the control on openGL.
And actually MS is not even on ARB.

Coming back for the weekly dose of troll feed, I see :smiley: .
385 snacks is more than enough.

I don’t really agree with that statement, both are equally in flux but i can only see GLSL doing it with a specific goal in mind to make it perfect.

Either way, you only want it so you won’t have to spend 10 minutes converting existing HLSL shaders.

glfreak, are you not of the body? Carefull what you say as GLandrew hears all!

Well, back to the festival…

I did not mention Microsoft or using the D3D API from GL as some “people” replied. We always think it’s troll because we have bad attitude toward sme vendor or we always associate inventions with their inventors…WRONG! When I say D3D or HLSL I mean the technology being used by developers not whoever created them…I don’t care.

HLSL sounds to be a standard that can be adopted since it’s vs. the “API” is more stable in sense that it does improve without imposing backward compatibility issues.

At what?

Then you already know they never took your posts and suggestions seriously, why bother then? :slight_smile:

Cheer up guys!

It’s always possible to use 3rd-party compilers/translators to GLSL.

We always think it’s troll because we have bad attitude toward sme vendor or we always associate inventions with their inventors…

We think it’s a troll because you have a habit of proposing things are that nothing more than thinly veiled wrappers around “OpenGL should do things the D3D way.”

For example, I’m in favor of the idea behind EXT_separate_shader_objects (though not the specifics of the extension). However, that’s because it’s a good idea, not because it’s how D3D does it. It cuts down a lot on compile/link cycles, and makes it easier to mix and match shaders.

The problem with your idea is that the only thing going for it is that it is what D3D does. It has no merit other than that.

HLSL sounds to be a standard that can be adopted since it’s vs. the “API” is more stable in sense that it does improve without imposing backward compatibility issues.

What “backward compatibility” issues does GLSL have? And in what way is HLSL a “standard”?

At least there’s currently one thread on OpenGL.org that’s fun to read.

Go on, entertain me!

We would request a new forum “entertainment” where glfreak would be the moderator! He would be awesome for that and I’m sure it would be big success!

It was the worst of ceremonies. -Jighuckster Numbus, disputed leader of the Grizzeldo Bombastidors and self proclaimed high priest of the Gluraid Tinklers, regaled the Ringbats of Abstemiok with a most forgettable dissertation on the ills of Gloat Cheese, whereupon whose conclusion - after a ceremonial hand waving, head nodding and voice clearing - it was unanimously agreed that such ills are self evident, and Jighuckster’s amusing if overindulgent verbiage served only to spur distracted onlookers to seek out this unsavory mold wherever it may be found and partake of it at their own peril. Jighuckster, feeling the heat of oppression, quickly took to his feet and irradiated the naysayers with a mind hazing speech such that could only be withstood by lead-lined helmets: -Ms. Henrietta Wadmire of Resplendit Heights fainted. -Mr. Beavis Bookgarden of Withering Deeds swallowed his biscuit whole. A dense shroud of misbegotten wind then engulfed those in attendance. -Mr. Brimble Bundt teetered, then fell flatly on his face.

Of those in attendance and conscious at the cessation of events, all pleaded for a timely death. -Mr. Trumbold Dinn insisted that he be given a salad fork to shove up his nose. Distinguished professor Graylord Heed gleefully soiled himself, then politely asked to be expunged.

You all know that there is a small-ish library mojoshader over at icculus that converts HLSL to GLSL (though I cannot imagine that it works perfectly). It operates on HLSL shader models 1,2 and 3 and takes as input byte code, linky: http://icculus.org/mojoshader/

If you want a cross-API solution, then Cg is the only solution in town.
You can write in Cg and compile to GLSL. I’m surprised nobody mentioned it. Does it have problems?

I mentioned it indirectly (I was assuming it’s pretty obvious), see the previous page. :wink: