My program is slow on some computers

Sektor,

I think what jamesk means is you can’t expect people to help you if you dont give details. You should have given:

1. The type of graphics card
  2. The processor
  3. The OS

and ideally a link to your engine or at least a representative piece of code so we can dissect it and let you know whether the app is at fault or the computer.

The way you phrased your question no-one can answer it and if you’re “too lazy” to add the three lines I mentionned above then you deserve to be flamed.

I wasn’t too lazy to give details. I just didn’t know them at that time (the computer is not mine)… So here they are: the video card is a RIVA TNT 2, the processor was I think an Athlon at over 1 GHz and the OS WinXP.
I am pretty sure it wasn’t the app’s fault. I used glut to build the simplest possible app, rendering one red triangle in the middle of the screen, and displaying the FPS.

Originally posted by Sektor:
I wasn’t too lazy to give details. I just didn’t know them at that time (the computer is not mine)… So here they are: the video card is a RIVA TNT 2, the processor was I think an Athlon at over 1 GHz and the OS WinXP.
I am pretty sure it wasn’t the app’s fault. I used glut to build the simplest possible app, rendering one red triangle in the middle of the screen, and displaying the FPS.

It is possible you are using memory too big to be fitted in the card.

Try reduce the resolution by any means. You may observe a sudden sharp change of performance with a small change of resolution. Is the PC running 32bit color?

Next time, you may want to post the question without mentioning “I don’t want to copy and paste…”. You just needed to be a bit lazy to explain why you posted here instead of there. People in this foum are usually ticked by rudeness and laziness rather than the stupidity of the post…

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Nvidia TNT2 was the bottleneck. This card dates back to early 1999 and should give around 50 fps with Quake II:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/19990312/nvidia-05.html

37 fps with an un-optimised glut app does not seem too unlikely on a TNT2. To get the most out of your glut app you should use functions such as glutIdleFunc() and glutPostReDisplay() I think.