My program is slow on some computers

I’ve copied my OpenGL project to another computer and had the surprise of seeing that it ran slow. I then did a program to display one triangle and this one ran with 37 fps.
The computer is not slow (Quake 3 ran just fine on it). So I am asking if there are some setting related to the computer’s video card that I should adjust to make it run as it should?
I am aware that this is not an advanced OpenGL matter, but I’ve already written it and don’t want to copy / paste into begginer section. Sorry …
Any advices would be welcome.

Originally posted by Sektor:
I’ve copied my OpenGL project to another computer and had the surprise of seeing that it ran slow. I then did a program to display one triangle and this one ran with 37 fps.
The computer is not slow (Quake 3 ran just fine on it). So I am asking if there are some setting related to the computer’s video card that I should adjust to make it run as it should?

I’m trying to read your mind… hang on…

Ah, tsjakka!
The other computer contains a 3dfx videocard.

I am aware that this is not an advanced OpenGL matter, but I’ve already written it and don’t want to copy / paste into begginer section. Sorry …
Any advices would be welcome.

Isn’t Windows that advanced yet?

[This message has been edited by richardve (edited 12-11-2002).]

The other computer contains a 3dfx videocard.

Although I seriously doubt that (the computer is not mine, but a friend’s), how can I make OpenGL applications run faster on 3dfx videocards? Are there some good OpenGL drivers? I guess that 37 FPS isn’t the maximum speed.

Originally posted by richardve:
[b] Isn’t Windows that advanced yet?

My… Aren’t you ironic?

I bet that the refresh rate of the monitor is 75hz and vsync is on and is using triple-buffers …

Thanks dawn for the quick answer.
I thought about the exactly same thing (vsync is on). How can I disable vsync and triple buf? from the windows display properties by any chance?

Display prop/advanced/your card/gl settings/vertical sync put it off. Triple-buffering is one method that gl is using for “make things visible” on screen - instead of 2 buffers (front and back) swapped every frame, it’s using 3 of them that are swapped – it’s a thing that you request in the init gl of your app.

My… Aren’t you ironic?

That isn’t irony. Please, tell me you’re american…

Am not.

knackered,

Those sorts of stereotypes can only cause harm.

Those sorts of stereotypes can only cause harm.

Huh?

You can change vsync in your program using WGL_EXT_swap_interval extension.
Function looks like this wglSwapIntervalEXT (interval). If you set interval to zero app will not wait monitor refresh to display image. For example, if yours monitors refresh rate is 100Hz and if interval is set to 1 (default value) your maximum framerate will be 100, if you set interval to 0 your max framerate can go higher.

Hope this helps.

Any chance of making a new rule of just deleting these topics?

-i know this is the advanced board but im too lazy to copy and paste into the other one etc. etc.

The beginner and advanced boards are here for a reason, this topic is so stupid it doesnt even belong in the beginner one. You provide almost no information of the problem it literally could be hundreds of different reasons.

PS. oops my finger slipped and I posted in the advanced forum, my program doesnt work, could you guys tell me why my drawPinkSausage() fucntion wont work?. ONLY useful replies please, no links to articles, OKGGTHANKSBYE.

Originally posted by Marjamaa:
[b]knackered,

Those sorts of stereotypes can only cause harm.[/b]

BTW, someone tried NVIDIA’s stereo driver. It really hurted my eyes.

Originally posted by Coconut:
BTW, someone tried NVIDIA’s stereo driver. It really hurted my eyes.

That’s because NVidia has headquarters in the US

Marjamaa> I really laughed when I read knackered’s comment: it should not be taken as is, of course. Have you ever heard about second degree?

Julien.

Sorry for my brevity, I didn’t want to start some flipcode-esque America vs. Anti-America thing. I was just trying to say that when you make a generalization about the intelligence on a group of people, not only does it insult any member of that group that might read it, but it also reflects poorly on your own intelligence ( and if that is not irony, I don’t know what is ).

Originally posted by Marjamaa:
Sorry for my brevity, I didn’t want to start some flipcode-esque America vs. Anti-America thing. I was just trying to say that when you make a generalization about the intelligence on a group of people, not only does it insult any member of that group that might read it, but it also reflects poorly on your own intelligence ( and if that is not irony, I don’t know what is ).

Are you Belgian ?

Julien.
PS> don’t get offended, it was a j.o.k.e

Originally posted by deepmind:
[b] Are you Belgian ?

Julien.
PS> don’t get offended, it was a j.o.k.e[/b]

Oh oh! time to bring out the quake and duke it out in bit land.

V-man

First of all, I apologize if my simple question has in any way offended your great minds (for those of you who feel that have one).
I think that this forum is about helping each other out and leaving out the unnecessary comments like “your question is so simple that i can’t answer it”.
dawn is one of those that I appreciate for giving a relevant answer straight away. Someone said that I give too little information. That is because of the fact that I didn’t want to write so much text. Personally, when I see such messages I don’t bother to read them. Another reason is because I thought that some of you had the same problem and can offer some advice.

By the way, dawn was right. And he got as much information as you all did (and he was able to offer me some advice, thanks for that).

So, jamesk4, don’t get so upset about misposted topics (sorry again for not posting in beginner section) and next time, don’t bother to write theese stupid messages, like “i’m too smart for the question”. I find this messages so lame.
If you have an answer that could be of any help to the others, post it, otherwise don’t. Nobody needs the kind of messages that you post and honestly, nobody needs them.

Yeah, very good. Where did I say “i’m too smart for the question”? Sorry for getting so “upset” and being so “lame” and writing “stupid messages”, next time i’ll just leave you alone free to post whatever ridiculously simple questions with no details wherever you feel like.

[b]First of all, I apologize if my simple question has in any way offended your great minds (for those of you who feel that have one).
I think that this forum is about helping each other out and leaving out the unnecessary comments like “your question is so simple that i can’t answer it”.
dawn is one of those that I appreciate for giving a relevant answer straight away. Someone said that I give too little information. That is because of the fact that I didn’t want to write so much text. Personally, when I see such messages I don’t bother to read them. Another reason is because I thought that some of you had the same problem and can offer some advice.

By the way, dawn was right. And he got as much information as you all did (and he was able to offer me some advice, thanks for that).

So, jamesk4, don’t get so upset about misposted topics (sorry again for not posting in beginner section) and next time, don’t bother to write theese stupid messages, like “i’m too smart for the question”. I find this messages so lame.
If you have an answer that could be of any help to the others, post it, otherwise don’t. Nobody needs the kind of messages that you post and honestly, nobody needs them.[/b]

If it’s vsync, it’d mean your actual framerate is in the 38-74 fps range, which is still too low for a single triangle IMO. VSync is never really a problem.

I’d check two things first: is it a fillrate problem ? Try to reduce the window size (or screen resolution) and see if the framerate varies.

Also check your pixel format. Maybe you are running in software ? Is your triangle textured and colored, or just flat ? What video card is it, and what pixel format are you requesting ? Post some code, it might help.

Y.