My Demo

Hi all,
I’ve written a demo to show to prospective employers, and it would be very useful to me if you could test it for me and let me know of any bugs (it’s been developed on a P3-733 with a GeForce 256).
It’s at http://members.lycos.co.uk/mplatings/
Thanks.

Some screenshots would be useful. Not everybody is willing to download, unzip, install etc. a demo without some idea as to whether it’s worth it or not.

Fair point. I’ll upload some later.
Until then, hey - it’s only 700k, and there isn’t any mucking about with installers.
I can also reassure you that the demo is a lot prettier than the website.

[This message has been edited by Don’t Disturb (edited 04-23-2003).]

Not bad.
Or should i say, damned good? I just played it for one minute and i was surprised about the quality.
But i was a bit disappointed by the sound. The “vroom vroom” sounds were very childish and i got only mono-sound.

On my Athlon 1.3 GHZ with a Geforce 4200 it ran very well.

Jan.

looks nice, though the controls are a bit sluggish.

what have you used to make the track?

btw. i havent even noticed that the cars are sprites, until i had a look at the data folder .

Sorry for the poor sound quality, Jan

The cars steer according to the friction between the tyres and the ground, so if it’s too sluggish blame Coulomb

I made the track using a custom utility I knocked together. It tends to crash your computer if you don’t treat it right, so I’m not planning to release it in the immediate future.

[This message has been edited by Don’t Disturb (edited 04-23-2003).]

Looked very nice from what i saw, and i didn’t saw much :slight_smile:

It crashed after a few seconds, at the first street intersection. P4 2Ghz + Radeon 9700.

I’d suggest that you work a bit more on the menu. The game looks good, but the menu’s a bit confusing IMO. The track selection, with these white? dots? was a bit weird.

Y.

Originally posted by Don’t Disturb:
[b]Sorry for the poor sound quality, Jan

The cars steer according to the friction between the tyres and the ground, so if it’s too sluggish blame Coulomb

I made the track using a custom utility I knocked together. It tends to crash your computer if you don’t treat it right, so I’m not planning to release it in the immediate future.

[This message has been edited by Don’t Disturb (edited 04-23-2003).][/b]

I’m glad I didn’t read this BEFORE your demo froze my machine. :wink:

You might want to make sure that your potential employer whom you’re showng the demo to isn’t using an IBM 2x1000MHz PIII Xeon machine with a Radeon 9700 Pro and Catalyst 3.2 drivers in a Dual monitor set up. :slight_smile:

I’m SO glad I saved my code changes before trying the demo :wink:

It broke after one “half” lap on the figure 8 map and I think I might have gone the wrong way around the 8…Oh well. It looked fairly nice… However, the cars drive on the wrong side of the street :wink:

/CAD_Swede

Uh-oh.
I’m noticing you both have Radeon 9700s, could that be the problem?
Sorry for crashing your computer, BTW.

Originally posted by Don’t Disturb:
Uh-oh.
I’m noticing you both have Radeon 9700s, could that be the problem?
Sorry for crashing your computer, BTW.

hehe, no problem. The freeze is identical to the freezes I get when I screw up some API or extensions call, so I’ve seen it before ;-0

The 9700 with the current drivers is fast but not very tolerant of stooopid bugs. Believe me, I’ve produced a fair share of them myself :slight_smile:

P4 1.7 + ATi Rage (w98se) even alt+control+del wont help
I’ll try that on TNT2 on PIII 1.0 (w98se).
If I wont write back, you owe me computer

YOU OWE ME A COMP, THAT WAS BIGEST BLOW I HAVE EVER SEEN, JOKING
On TNT2 no problems and fps are acceptable, nice work, but PC’s with ATi cards crashes really bad, black (GLUT?) screen, w/o any kind of info + frozen PC.
I was happy to see McLaren there

Ran just fine (60-70 fps) on a Radeon 9000 here, albeit with unofficial beta drivers (6334, catalyst 3.3).

– Tom

That’s pretty solid stuff. Nice lighting & shadows. Good work.
So you’re based in London?
You interested in other areas of realtime graphics apart from games? Such as simulation?
You prepared to re-locate within england?
(I’m not offering a job, but I know a man who might).

Hmm, well I’ve posted a warning for people with 9700s on the site, I’ll have to extend that to all ATI cards. Bummer.

kieran - Yeah, simulation is my main interest (I’ve got another demo of this but it’s a bit big to put on a website). I applied to a few companies who do that kind of thing, but I think they just saw 2/2.
I don’t have anything keeping me in London so I’m happy to relocate.
Tell your man who might that I might be interested.

Madman,

If you’re developing software, you owe it to yourself to get onto the Windows NT kernel. Win98 and WinME just aren’t stable enough; especially given the horrible OpenGL leaks you get when crashing or Shift-F5-ing programs.

Win2k or WinXP; either is fine.

Yeah madman, ain’t you never heard of kazaa-lite?

It ran at an average of 160fps on my computer Athlon XP 2000, GF4 Ti4200.

But there was no sound. I have a SB Live xGamer 5.1.

I agree that the shadows (stencil?) were very nice looking and the lighting also worked very well.

So where is source code to see?
As I understand you’ve done lights using register combiners+vertex program or not?

… and it would be very useful to me if you could test it for me and let me know of any bugs

Hi, but why it says could not initialise…? when I try to run it?