MSVC is going to make me REALLY MAD!!!!!!

The first thing , I was working with my project when it hanged up at compile time, only thing I was able to do was restart my PC, Alt+Ctrl+Del, didn’t helped (Despite the fact I’m working with WinXP Pro). When I opened my workspace once more all syntax highlight was gone, except of cg progs, and I havn’t found out how to get it back
I have faced this problem before too, when all workspaces from NVIDIAs toolkit had same problem.
AND THE SECOND THING, spent a lot of time on my engine today, and guess what, MSVC caught a bug when saving to NTFS volume & ate my main.cpp (IT WASN’T SHORT ONE ). I’m used to fact that MSVC drops out message that file is in use lalala…, but this time there was no message & file was simply deleted . Now I’m trying to redo all I have done from time I last backuped my prog
And that’s real hell without syntax highlight
Funny thing is that it’s not Friday 13

[This message has been edited by M/\dm/
(edited 01-18-2003).]

** Rant **

Stop using M$ crap and switch to Linux

At least you made a backup, but now you will probably make them more frequently hehe.

Old GLman

I had some similar problems with MSVC, except that for me the PC didnt hang, it rebooted.

Everything went back to normal behavior when I turned this damn antivirus off.

No more reboot, no more “file is in use” etc.

If you have any kind of so called “utility” service (antivirus or other Norton crap), I suggest you switch them off when working.

Hope this helps

PS : I have a Win2K system (FAT32 though)

WOW…that really sucks m/\dm/
!!! I’ve had something like that happen to me once…but only once. I wrote a realllly long program that was in only one file (main.cpp)…when i compiled it and ran it from the compiler, it crashed and rebooted my computer. Then i proceeded to run the program outside of the compiler and it worked perfectly. Figuring I had a bug in my code i opened it up and all that was in the main.cpp file was 2 lines of computer jargon!!! That…made…me…veeerrrrrryyy…frustrated.

I feel your pain man!

• Halcyon

Happened to me couple of times, but with every compiler I’ve ever used… MSVC++6.0 Intro (though I am stepping up to .Net Standard - be afraid… very afraid), MetroWerks CodeWarrior 5.0 & 6.0 (Windows and Mac), THINK Pascal (Mac), Symantec C++ (Mac). It even happened back on my Atari 800 using both Basic and Assembly only because I was poke(ing) where I shouldn’t or with assembly because I had no reference (book) for any APIs for graphics or anything else that I tried experimenting with certain things.

Usually it is a problem with a pointer that wasn’t initialized and it wrote into system memory or program memory or something of the sort. But usually it was after I was compiling and testing the code I had written so far (damage done), then made the necessary changes to resolve the pointer problems recompiled again and splat - blue screen of death or the system just froze - mouse usually worked great though when it just froze, but the internal system damage was already done. I seriously doubt that it was the compiler itself rather than problematic code that caused the problem.

Though, I suppose I could be wrong. Viruses or loaded programs which cause system instability or even an attack from the internet if you don’t have a good firewall and the latest MS security updates and you have braodband constant internet access. But, my bet is you have pointers that aren’t initialized and checked properly allowing access to overwrite system or program memory. Of course, I heard XP (allegedly) prevents that sort of thing.

Anyway, good luck with the coding.

I think i have to defend M$ here. I used MSVC 6.0 and am using .NET with XP now. I never had a problam like yours with those programs and i am using them for about 5 years now.
However 5 years ago, i used Turbo Pascal and after a crash of my system its whole folder was gone, together with the program i was working on for over 3 months. That was a reason for me to start with C++.

I really feel your pain, because that sucks, but it might not be VC++´s fault. I don´t use any “utility” like AntiVirus tools or special printer software or any other of those self-installing-and-dont-want-to-go-away programs.

So i guess, that it might really be such a program´s fault.

Jan.

Yeah, I guess I did neglect to mention that I find that the microsoft compilers do their job well. That problem I had was when i had the Norton Antrivirus still installed on my computer. I just never figured that would be the reason for that mess. But that is the only time I’ve ever had any issues with microsoft’s compilers.

Oh and shinpaughp, in my opinion, .NET is awesome!

• Halcyon

Well, I guess I must say thanks, because I FINALLY REWROTE my main.cpp & added some improvements, but that still hurts and now I’m backuping every 10 mins
But I doubt the problem is with utils or smthn, because there is always some sort of conflict with saving on NTFS from MSVC & other progs too. Still there is no excuse for MSVC, Borland builder is automaticaly creating whole lot of .~bak’s, but I don’t think Borland is making PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES, they look like toys to me, click twice there, then twice there, so I’ll stick with MSVC (pure C++) and’ll keep b’uping .

. I know what you feel. I also lost a couple of my projects I was working for months. And know I am making backup of my main.cpp every time before running program. What’s more… I am saving every line written. Just to be sure ‘it won’t disappear’, you know…

On 01-19-2003 08:46 AM, a Frequent Contributor named Halcyon made the following remark:
Yeah, I guess I did neglect to mention that I find that the microsoft compilers do their job well. That problem I had was when i had the Norton Antrivirus still installed on my computer. I just never figured that would be the reason for that mess. But that is the only time I’ve ever had any issues with microsoft’s compilers.

Oh thank-you thank-you thank-you so much! :slight_smile: Now I understand why the Dev-C++ 5 Betas lock up my entire machine every time I go to compile my projects. It appears my IDE prefers it when Norton Antivirus is disabled.