models

It all comes down to this issue of models and textures. The production problem. Now I’m a good artist so i have the texture stuff under control. But Is there open source out there that can load some file format x into a data structure in the opengl program? I’m trying to avoid having to write a parser and learning a file format. I was spoiled with 3dmf file format but alas qd3d is no longer. This seems like the stumbling point for me and opengl.

Being mr. cheap I downloaded this free program called strata 3d. Seems enough for my needs. It exports to strata 3d, 3dmf, dxf…are there parsers for these file types?

Suggestions?

maybe this will help you http://www.openil.org

Hmm…tried to build OpenIL on my mac. I got it down to 600 errors with the most relaxed compiler settings. Hmm… string.h not included in some files. Lots of casting errors all over the place. zlib for compression not installed. png.h? no such attrubute as packed. Some of the header stuff was wierd…just chaged il/il.h to il.h and …/interal.h to internal.h…

Well, my head hurts.

Originally posted by johno:
[b]Hmm…tried to build OpenIL on my mac. I got it down to 600 errors with the most relaxed compiler settings. Hmm… string.h not included in some files. Lots of casting errors all over the place. zlib for compression not installed. png.h? no such attrubute as packed. Some of the header stuff was wierd…just chaged il/il.h to il.h and …/interal.h to internal.h…

Well, my head hurts.[/b]

Thats what I found when I tried, luckily MS c++ stops compiling after 100 errors by default.

I haven’t looked at the OpenIL stuff before, but maybe you simply need to add some paths from it into your default path search for headers and libraries?

make sure you actually have the extra libraries. then just make sure your search paths are correct and compile. should work. or you can precompile the librarie’s and link them to your openil project.

Why don’t you try 3D Exploration? It supports all the file types you have mentioned (import & export) and exports the model data even in cpp code. Go to :
http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

I tried new paths and I have set the compiler to the most relaxed standards. Its finding the headers but there are errors.

It also wants zlib. I don’t think that is a standard. So, it cant find the binary on the mac.

There we some strange casting errors like void** to void*…

There is some interesting stuff in Openil. Like the endian stuff. I tried porting the orion3d engine and I succeded. But when I used their file format they write raw ints to the files. So, my mac would blow when I read their files in. Had to abandon that effort.

Anyways, I’d do the same amount of work making my own parser which is the initial problem I’m tryng to avoid here.