Model Matrix possible at all?

Hi,

I know that openGL only has the concept of the ModelView Matrix which converts vertex positions directly from object to eyeSpace.
Anyways, I am rendering multiple glutSolidSpheres (just for testing) at different positions using glTranslate(). Now in my GLSL shader I want to write each fragments World position to a texture but I have only access to the gl_ModelViewMatrix which brings things one step too far.
Is there any quick of way doing that with openGLs functionality or would I have to roll my own transformation matrices?

Thanks

Aren’t Eye Space and World Space the same thing, since in OpenGL, the eye is always considered to be at vec3(0.0,0.0,0.0)? Or am I getting confused with my terminology again?? I know the names for the different coordinate systems tends to differ between HLSL/Cg and GLSL.

a|x

The world space concept is completely your creature. OpenGL doesn’t (and shouldn’t) know about it.
Generally, your modelview matrix = inverse(Camera_Model) * Object_Model,
where X_Model is a transformation of something’s coordinate system to the world.

Now, in order to capture world space coord, you can grab (Object_model * vertex_local_coord) and pass to the fragment shader.

I simply pass in a uniform with a translation and apply that to the gl_Vertex in my shader. Works fine, anyways I just wanted to know if there was a certain way its ment to be done and you answered that question just fine!

@toneburst:
No, World/Model space is the coordinate system of all your objects in the world. For instance you can draw an object with a z value bigger than 0.
Eye space (which is after you apply the ModelViewMatrix) is always looking down the negative z Axis, so that even if you are looking at you object with positive z, that would become negative in eyespace (basically if a z value becomes positive in eyespace, its behind the camera and thus cant be seen).

Thanks for the explanation, mokafolio. Good to see you here, by the way :smiley:

a|x

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.