Microsoft quits?

I guess you’re referring to Plato here, but that’s never stopped me before I can’t say that SGI is boneheaded for accepting a huge sum of money, but if the result of taking that money were to damage OpenGL, I’d say that it was a pretty dumb move. SGI has spent how much promoting and researching aspects of OpenGL? I don’t know, but I do know that IRIX doesn’t run D3D, nor do any unices. It’s not just me that’s losing here, it’s all the users of any non-MS operating system.

Survival is usually the top priority for corporations in trouble. Noble causes take a back seat. Besides you’re still adding 1 + 1 and getting 3.

You make many assumptions, and then assume that Microsoft will attempt to kill OpenGL on windows, that it’s even feasible AND this will work for them. You’ve given in after merely glimpsing the tea leaves.

[This message has been edited by dorbie (edited 03-04-2003).]

Well, the bright side is that if Microsoft takes things up a notch, ARB might feel some pressure to do the same thing. And we all know that ARB provides OpenGL updates as frequently as Microsoft updates their opengl32.dll

• Halcyon

How about a thread about how much peril D3D is in? All it would take is ATI & NVIDIA to agree that they don’t want fools at Microsoft meddeling in API implementation and trying to impose I.P. stealing contracts and it’d be over and much more certainly than and injury Microsoft could inflict on OpenGL. There would be no D3D X.

Oh my goodness, D3D hangs by a thread!

Originally posted by rgpc:
[b] nVidia already do that don’t they? I’ve seen plenty of D3D errors appear when GL code fails on nVidia hardware so I do wonder…

[EDIT] Mind you I haven’t seen one for a while so maybe that was just a win98 thing…

[This message has been edited by rgpc (edited 03-04-2003).][/b]

I beleive they do since I had D3D8 and debug mode on.

I was running Max and it seemed to be suffering from screen corruption so I shut it down.
Then in VC++ I was working and noticed D3D8 errors beeing displayed when I shut down my GL window.
Something about 36 bytes of memory leak.

I finally decided to reboot and problem solved.
I didn’t want to mention this since you guys brought it up.

This was on Win2000 with 40.xx drivers

Anyway, do you guys have to do this everytime? Oh noooooo! we’re all doomed!

OK, who can tell me what the number of apps using GL+games is and what the number of D3D apps+games is?

Originally posted by Jan2000:
[b] That´s possible. If they had such a wrapper they could easily port OpenGL games to the X-Box (although i still don´t understand why the X-Box doesn´t support OpenGL).

Jan.[/b]

My understanding is that MS feels that D3D for the Xbox is close enough to OpenGL that having to support separate API’s would be a waste of man hours, since any game developer could port their game with minimal effort.