Making a GUI

How would I go about naking a GUI for my program?
For example when I have a space sim I’d like to have an odd console with a set of buttons with which I can do weird stuff.

I’m primarilly interrested in the drawing technique used (how to put a GUI on the screen, infront of the 3D view) and how I can handle cursor actions the best way.

TY

you can do your GUI right in openGL you switch to an ortho projection to do your gui

dont make a gui with openGL it is way to tedious and not very powerful. YOu can only do simple selection and menus you should look at FLTK or something like that to make gui’s

Originally posted by mdog1234:
dont make a gui with openGL it is way to tedious and not very powerful. YOu can only do simple selection and menus you should look at FLTK or something like that to make gui’s

Ummm… not very powerful? only simple selection and menus? Maybe that’s all YOU can do, but people who are knowledgeable about OpenGL can do quite a bit more.

Sure, OpenGL doesn’t provide nice packaged controls like the Win32 stuff, but that doesn’t stop you from adding any functionality you want with OpenGL.

If you take a look at most games, you will find very few that use standard controls for their GUI.

yes i know this but I thought he was talking about making a user interface not for a game but just a windows application