Low FPS in WinXp

I’ve made a opengl game, ran it on pentium III, windows 2000/98 without video card, FPS = 75. But when I ran it on windows XP without video card, FPS = 4!

So I decided to do bench marking, I picked up a simple triangle with FPS counter from this solid
In win2000/98 = 150 fps, in winxp = 73 fps.

How do I deal with this slowness problem? Is there any win32 api code changes I need to make(my windows/opengl code is similiar to Nehe Code’s) in order to adapt to windows xp? Or should I just tell the windows xp users to get a video card???I don’t have any extension support
for controling delay of buffer swaping.

It could be that XP has more services running by default or your performance options without a video card are set too high. Personally it seems as though XP (with video card) is faster than 98, Me, and 2000 but on machines without video card it does seem slower - why I do not know. Probably your performance settings are set too high for non-videocard- under Control Panel/System/Advanced tab Performance button.

Windows xp especially runs with fast and latest hardware, there is a good work powered by Microsoft’s guys, but you need a not-so-bad system tu run it ‘perfectly’, so be sure that with some middle quality hardware, your application under Xp will be fantastic, i don’t think that NeHe’s code is bad, i dont think Win32 applications must be different to other windows, but this is probably an OS malfunction that you can’t deal with…
But, sure you can optimize your application to run faster on XP systems, shutdown any ‘big process’ just like said shinpaughp

Also built-in graphics chips use system memory for graphics processing which thereby takes away from application/process memory usage forcing greater reliance on virtual memory (disk usage/page files). If you only have 128 or 256 Mb in such a system you would be wise to increase it (512 probably being the mimimum or perhaps modifying the AGP aperture in your BIOS if it supports it to a smaller value such as 16 or 32 Mb) which should also improve performance. The default AGP aperture if supported seems to be 64 or 128 Mb these days.

Originally posted by Zahid Ali:
[b]I’ve made a opengl game, ran it on pentium III, windows 2000/98 without video card, FPS = 75. But when I ran it on windows XP without video card, FPS = 4!

So I decided to do bench marking, I picked up a simple triangle with FPS counter from this solid
In win2000/98 = 150 fps, in winxp = 73 fps.

How do I deal with this slowness problem? Is there any win32 api code changes I need to make(my windows/opengl code is similiar to Nehe Code’s) in order to adapt to windows xp? Or should I just tell the windows xp users to get a video card???I don’t have any extension support
for controling delay of buffer swaping.[/b]

Thank u for your replies.I tried your advices but no avail.Please give any other solution thank you

well im not 100% sure what u mean when u say you run your app/game with no video card?? …do u mean with no video card drivers and you are using the standard drivers that microsoft provide??? …if you are you can see where i am heading with this, microsoft video card drivers that ship with XP usually don’t have much opengl support enabled, you will get massive gains in FPS if you use the video card manufacturer’s drivers

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.